1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

UK based owners

Discussion in 'Other' started by sausage-fingers, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Colintosh

Colintosh New Member

Well I bought an XJ 550 H Maxim 1981 of flea bay to tinker with and ride during the sumer....never been on the road loads and loads of money spent on it..parts are out there but hard to find....really struggling with the carbs......now up to do I replace just the diaphragm rubbres or the whole slide.....I have got to the trust issue with it now as my problems are keeping me from riding it....ah well hay-ho will just have to keep going until it is fixed.......Based in little town near Blackburn so will be looking for xj meet to go to in summer 2015 with a bit of luck and a pocket ful of cash....lol

2. TurboMike

TurboMike New Member

3. Daithi

Daithi Member

I am over here in Dublin and have just fully restored a 1982 XJ750 Seca. It was fun but a lot of work !!! This is my 4th Seca having owned an almost brand new one in 1982 and then a couple of them in the USA where I lived for 18 years. Just love these bikes.

4. martzx9r

martzx9r New Member

Hey anyone have a info on xj400 jap import please

5. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Diversion or pre - Diversion?

6. James Pirie

James Pirie New Member

I'm in the Far flung Highlands of Scotland with a 1990 XJ900F. Currently struggling with a rear wheel bearing problem.
    Bike only has 36,000 miles on the clock due to having been laid up for 1o years while I grew a family :)
    Hoping it's not come to the end of the road because of a silly bearing :)

James

7. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

The XJ900F is still well supported for spares. If it's the middle bearing (no 4 on the list, here), it's possibly available via a decent bearing supplier, and for much less than the daft prices quoted by motorcycle dealers. As a comparison, decent branded bearings to match the other two on the rear wheel are available off the shelf for a fraction of the dealers' prices.
    http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xj900rk-1983_model8928/partslist/E-03.html#results

8. Butter bean

Butter bean New Member

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to the site, I've just bought an '84 650 (on a 750 frame) - using it commute into London. Running ok but cuts out when idling - currently spending hours on the forum trying to work out why and came across this thread and thought I'd introduce myself.

9. Alan63

Alan63 Active Member

Due for carb cleaning likely. Do you still use the stock air cleaners etc.?

10. Alan63

Alan63 Active Member

Welcome abourd , make sure valve clearences are in spec too
    Alan

11. Butter bean

Butter bean New Member

Cheers, I'll check out the forum for how to on the calve clearances - to be honest, I'm not sure I'll be able to do cab clean, looks complicated!

Regarding air cleaners, the bike has been converted to run on pods.

12. Butter bean

Butter bean New Member

Does anyone know if there are ever any UK based carb clinics or anything similar? Cheers.

13. daphnebroon

daphnebroon New Member

Dont know of any clinics in Uk NRP carbs in Manchester might sort them for you. I did my own and yes complicated(wish i had ent them to NRP) but there are tons of posts from the US side of forum that might help you. Search for church of clean in forum and associated links will help if you decide to do your own. Also if they are Mikunis there is a tube video on a Suzuki set which is good
    NRP Carbs and Diaphragms
    7 Park Street,
    Off Cheetham Hill Road,
    Manchester
    ENGLAND
    M3-1EU
    TEL/FAX +44 [0] 161 832 8646
    Manufacturers and suppliers of Diaphragms
    and spares for Japanese carburettors and Fuel taps

14. memphis

memphis Member

Hello everyone. I am based in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Currently have xj650 UK spec on v5c says first registered in 1984 but bike I think is 1982. Also I have a xj650 lj turbo 1982 US. The UK bike was bought as non running in 99% original. but the previous owner tried to be smart and when cleaning carbs one of the floats legs broke also he forced a 2 thick thread mixture screws in into fine thread bodies. I have all new carbs now on it, jetted and pod filtera fitted. Just needs balance. few other things he did wrong Too. I've overhaul the front suspension as stanchions was pitted and new hagon springs and oil fitted. Also ignition coils replaced. This bike had only 5 owners. And I love it. Not much time now to work on it due to new job, Christmas and having 2 kids but it will be MOTd next week.. I am considering selling the turbo one due to having new job and need a car or reliable bike to commute if anyone interested please go to for sale section here on this forum. Price is negotiable. Thanks and good luck with all yours xj's

15. john.xj900seca.stornoway

john.xj900seca.stornoway New Member

Hi. I have an XJ900 SECA 1984 31-A and am in the Scottish Islands. (Western Isles)
    20151231_222501.jpg

16. memphis

memphis Member

hello. my plan is to go to Scotland on my 650 this year.

17. Bikemonkey

Bikemonkey Member

New member from the UK here, picking up my XJ900F tomorrow!

18. matthew fitzpatrick

matthew fitzpatrick Member

any uk guys local to liverpool to give us a hand with pickups mine are a nightmare

19. mrtim77

mrtim77 New Member

Currently sorting a Y reg XJ 750 Seca. Not looking forward to spending 400 notes on a new exhaust!!!

20. Reflektor

Reflektor Member

Deposit down on an 82 XJ650 Maxim here. Looking to tweak into mild bobber styling. Brighton based - any local guys/gals?

mike shannon likes this.