1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

[update]My baby('96 secaII) quit on me :(

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Vunit47, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Vunit47

Vunit47 New Member

Hi Guys,

I posted on here last time and you were all GREAT help. Unfortunately, I am in need of it again.
    I was riding around and having a great time and as I was slowing to a stop at a light, the engine turned off. My bike has never done anything strange like that (although I've only had it for 1.5months). I tried to restart and it just would not. I tried switching fuel to reserve thinking that was the issue. Also tried to just wait for it to cool a little. Eventually it did start, but quit on me again 4 miles later. This time just going straight at 45mph. Had to get it towed and damn was that expensive.

The bike is a '96 XJ600 SecaII with just under 20K miles on it. I've only had it a month or so but the seller had it in good condition and looking at the mileage, it was used pretty lightly all those years.

So, when the tow truck brought it home and it cooled down a bit, I started checking stuff.

-Battery is fine
    -Engine does try to start when I hit the button
    -Oil level is good
    -Spark plugs are good (checked the cheap way but trying to illicit a spark)

Does that basically guarantee that it's the carbs? I'm a total bike newbie but still pretty good at taking things apart. If it was a carb cleaning, I would be inclined to try it myself. But if it's anything to do with engine/trans/etc., I really have no clue. I just wanted to check here first because to take it to a shop means again to pay for towing, which would be at least 100 bucks right there.

p.s. Even after a month of ownership, it's amazing how sad I got when she didn't start :( . Thanks for any advice/comments.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Re: My baby('96 secaII) quit on me :(

You need to check the valve clearances and soon; if that was neglected you're on the edge of damaging the motor. My valve adjustment how-to will sort of apply to your bike; although the bucket hold-down tool is different and your shims are a different diameter, as is gaining access to the valves. Once inside, the components all look pretty much the same.

That being said, it does sound as though you have a fuel delivery issue. Your bike has a bit more complex fuel system than the older XJs; I believe you have a fuel pump. So yes, it could be carbs; but it could also be other neglected necessary maintenance biting you big time.

You need to get a service manual.

3. Vunit47

Vunit47 New Member

Thanks big. Checking all that other stuff is really delving into areas where I have no prior knowledge at all.

Any idea how much a shop would charge to redo carbs and check the valve clearances?

4. bigfitz52

Unfortunately most shops will either refuse to work on it because it's too old; or more likely, not know what they're doing, charge you a lot of money, and screw up your bike. Whole long list of people here that's happened to.

You'll find that a lot of those same folks also had "no prior knowledge" but invested in a service manual, asked questions, and learned how to at least properly maintain their bikes.

Maintenance is well within the purvey of the DIY mechanic; I'm not talking about overhauling the motor or anything.

Most of us deal with bikes from the 1980-83 era; but your bike is old enough that all the same things still apply. Get a service manual, and go through the "maintenance" section. Go through it step by step and procedure by procedure, in order, leaving none out. By the time you're done, you will have reversed any neglected maintenance and be able to actually use the bike as intended. This is NOT something you want to try to pay someone to do (properly recommission an old bike) you'll go broke in the process. There are a lot of "little" but very important things you need to attend to, or you will continue to have probems.

5. Vunit47

Vunit47 New Member

Thanks again....That is sage advice.

I have been reading/re-reading the steps just to make sure I understand. In order to sync them up again, a lot of people seem to be recommending home made manometers with oil or transmission fluid or something. For a 4 carb. bike like mine, is it okay to have four independent lines with their own reservoirs?

6. skw1972

skw1972 Member

yeah I need a how to on that one myself. Ill be watching this thread in hopes.
    hope your baby gets better soon Vunit, one month or 20 years- love is love

7. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Follow what Fitz says to do: 1 THING AT A TIME!!! :)
    Sorry, but we have had some guys here tear a motor down to literally nuts and bolts and then ask how to put it back together 8O . Put your location down, an XJ owner with some know how may be within commuting distance, or like you said, read about the thing you're going to do till your eyes bleed and then go slow and steady :| . If you get jammed up or into it and are not sure what to do next STOP :!: and come back here. The guys will help you to the best of their ability. Along with what you're stuck on, try to add good clear pictures with precise wording on the problem... :idea:
    Like: I've looked in the manual and in this picture I can't seem to get this part loose :D . Not: I'm having a hard time trying to loosen a black screw on the back of the carbs. :roll: :roll:

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You really NEED a >> FACTORY << Manual for your Bike.

The Factory Book has a dedicated "Troubleshooting Section".

You can do a few things that are Standard Troubleshooting; but when you get to the Ignition and Fuel Delivery Systems, ... YOUR Bike has MORE to do and check.

Your narrative has me thinking that the problem might have something to do with Fuel Starvation.
    YOUR Bike has a Fuel Pump.

I think you have to lift the Tank to access the Pump.
    Check for POWER getting to the Pump ... and ...
    With a Screwdriver Handle, ...
    Give the Fuel Pump some "Love-taps" and see if it's sleeping.

9. Maxim-X

To add to what Rick says, a common problem with bikes with fuel pumps is a pinched or kinked fuel line if the tank has been off or moved for access to something under the tank. Also an intermittent problem could be a poor grounding issue for the electrics that operate the pump or just a bad pump period.
    There should be basic test procedures in a manual to rule out any or all of the above.

Good luck, Graham
    Is this your tank?
    [​IMG]

Link to parts list:
    http://www.motorsportmonster.com/fiche_ ... 6&fveh=712

10. Vunit47

Vunit47 New Member

Wow...thanks so much for the interest; I don't know where the majority of users here are from, but I'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, IL.

The guy that sold it to me did not have any manuals unfortunately. I was able to get a haines service manual from the net. Currently looking for the factory manual as well.
    Like all of you suggested, going to start at the easiest things to check/fix and go from there. Starting with oil/filter change, and then cleaning the air filter.

11. Vunit47

Vunit47 New Member

anyone here in chicago/surrounding burbs?

12. Maxim-X

13. Vunit47

Vunit47 New Member

Wow, that was a great link. Great pictures.

I hope to be doing something similar, but with more "what do i here?" and "i am lost" thrown in...haha.
    I am a student so unfortunately it's study time until labor day weekend. Will be posting then.

Thanks

14. Vunit47

Vunit47 New Member

Hi all,

Cleaning the carbs did it! I also took apart and cleaned the vacuum pump. It is starting, and I took it out for a 10min. ride. I'm still a little tentative about taking it anywhere far. I loved working on it though. It was not that bad!
    One question I have however is that this bike was always a pain to start. It starts right up without choke, idles about 500-800 RPMs and then slowly dies. After doing that a couple times, I pull the choke out half way and start, and then again dies after a while. Then finally I start with full choke and once it gets going, it revs at 4 - 5000 RPM and I'm good to go after it warms up like that.
    This doesn't seem right however. Is it my idle adjustment? Any tips are appreciated.

15. bigfitz52

That's generally a sign of an out-of-sync condition; you probably need to synchronize the carbs.

Did you set the float levels using fuel, to the specs in your manual?

Before you try to sync the carbs, you're going to need to check the valve clearances and ensure they're in spec; if not you won't get a good sync.

You still have some work to do. GET A MANUAL if you don't have one yet, you'll need it.

16. Vunit47

Vunit47 New Member

I do have the manual. I don't think I have that special tool you need to check valve clearance though...
    I'll keep researching; Thanks for a starting point

17. bigfitz52

You need the tool to swap shims, not to CHECK the clearances.

18. doc2029

doc2029 Member

To clarify some you will need a set of metric feeler gauges to measure the gap or clearance. You will need the shim bucket tool to remove the current shims so you know what is in there, and what you need to order. For me using the shim bucket tool was very easy. You can order one from Chacal send him a PM and ask him for pricing. Chacal is really quick about getting orders out so you should have it a few days after you order it! There are alternate methods for removing the shims. I simply found the shim bucket tool to work quickly and easily, and this was my first time. Some here use the zip tie method or wire method. I can't speak to those, but since others use them I am sure they work and are covered in the part II, How To for checking and changing valve shims.

19. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

And even for swapping shims you can get by using a plastic Zip tie to hold the valve partially open. Not the "right" way to do it, but it does work.

To check them, all you need is a set of feeler gauges: available from pretty much any auto parts store for a few dollars.

20. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Here are the how to's:

Valve adjustment: xjbikes.com/Forums/vie...14827.html

Part Deux, how to use the tool and the zip tie trick: xjbikes.com/Forums/vie...29209.html

I would say that 99% of the time at least one of the valves are gonna be out of spec. Might as well have all the tools you need to check everything no since in taking the valve cover off just to put it back on to take it off later to see what size shim you have in there so you can order a new one... Do it all at once. Of course if you keep good records after the first time you'll know what is in there so you can check the clearances, and just order the shims you need or swap around as needed... In my mind, checking the clearances involves knowing what size shims are currently in the motor if you've never done it you don't know what is there. You need to pull them and check. I would do it on all of them in spec or not the first time so you know what is there. Next time, you'll be able just to check the clearance refer to your notes, check the chart and order shims. Much faster process...