1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

[update]My baby('96 secaII) quit on me :(

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Vunit47, Aug 27, 2011.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Guys, OP has a Seca II. The "shim tool" is different, and the shims a different diameter; I don't know if chacal carries them or not (but it doesn't hurt to ask.)

The principles and procedures however, are the same; as is the requirement that it be done regularly.

THIS is the shim tool for the Seca II 600: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0017

Except for the bucket holding tool, (and possibly the clearance specs, need to check the manual) everything in my "how-tos" will still apply.

2. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Well, and now I know and knowing is half the battle!

3. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

How far are you from Belleville Il?

As far as the hold down tool, I found sticking a bent wire in between the valve and valve seat worked great. Use a solid insulated wire though. This zip tie method kind of freaked me out a bit, seeing as to how it could snap. I used a solid 10 gauge wire, and you can actually feel how its positioned and when its snug.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

"Zip Tie" is more of a name than the actual execution would warrant.

If you feel the need to jam something down the plug 'ole and mess with that beautiful carbon cushion on the valve and seat, by all means use house wire. That's what I illustrated in "Part Deux."

Personally, I don't like to mess with my carbon deposits until I'm removing them. Until then, I like to leave them alone to do their job (keep my valves from pounding themselves to death.)

Besides, I just love tools.

5. Vunit47

Vunit47 New Member

Hey guys,

thanks for the valuable inputs. I have been held back by some tests/school stuff (so lame). I will get to work on the bike probably mid october :(
    It'll be awesome for next spring hopefully.

@RudieDelRude - I'm in west burbs of chicago so it's too far brother; i appreciate the interest though