1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Valve clearances checked

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, Jun 26, 2014.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

So, I finally found the time to check my valve clearances. I did learn one thing through trial and error. If you turn the crankshaft counterclockwise and check the clearance and then back the crankshaft clockwise just a bit and check the clearance again, it results it two totally different numbers. I didn't know that before I started but figured it out along the way. So, I went back through and did them all again while only turning the crankshaft counterclockwise. Here are my numbers all in mm:

Cylinder.....Exh.......Int.
    #1.............0.12.....0.09
    #2.............0.16.....0.14
    #3.............0.14.....0.14
    #4.............0.14.....0.05

I rechecked them again after that too and they are accurate. I don't have a shim removal tool right now but I'm going to order one. I guess I have to find out what shims I have in there first before I can do anything else, huh? I also found out that my petcock leaks pretty good. I didn't notice it with the hoses hooked up but it dribbled out pretty good when I took them off. Any suggestions or comments on the valve clearance measurements? If I looked at the suggested range correctly, it looks like I have 3 exhaust and 2 intake that are out of spec.

2. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

In lieu of not having the shim removal tool......IMHO...they work sometimes & sometimes they are a PITA....use the ziptie method for holding valve open & then pry out shim with a small screwdriver......works well for me...After you get the shim....check the number & chart & adjust accordingly....

Intakes need to be .11 to .15 mm
    Exhaust needs to be .16 to .20 mm

It appears you have 3 exhaust & 2 intakes that are out of spec.....

With regards to petcock, get a rebuild kit from Chacal.....

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I have two of the bucket tools, but prefer the zip tie method as it is much easier and quicker.

4. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I finally found time to adjust my valves. The shim removal tool worked perfect every time. Everything is now within spec. I've noticed that the bike now starts and idles without having to use the choke. I feel better knowing that things are how they should be. Now I just need to get my forks rebuilt and fine tune the air/fuel mixture. Thanks for all the help and technical write ups.

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Way to go, Stacey!!

Dave F