1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Valve cover bolt

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, Apr 20, 2016.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I replaced the rubber donuts on my valve cover bolts on my 82 XJ650 Maxim tonight and one of them wouldn't get tight. It's the left outside one on the rear of the head closest to the petcock. I was using a torque wrench set to just over 7lbs and it just keeps spinning. I'm guessing the threads were weak from previous owners or my torque wrench didn't click causing me to over tighten it. Either way, I need to fix that now. It still screws in and out but just will never get real snug. I'm assuming I need to use a helicoil. Does anybody know the bolt size and what size helicoil set I need?

On the bright side, the rubber donuts were pretty easy to cut off and the new ones went on smoothly.

Thanks,
    Stacy

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

From memory it's either 6 x 1.0 mm, or 8 x 1.0 mm (I'm leaning toward 6)
    Helicoil is the answer. Easy fix, just be careful to keep the drilbit and tap square and use plenty of oil to keep the aluminum from clogging the bit, and the tap.

waldreps likes this.
  3. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Thanks k-moe.

4. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Just in case anybody else needs to know, I checked with Len and he says it's an M6 x 1.00 thread-pitch. Thanks Len and k-moe, your leaning was correct. :)

k-moe likes this.
  5. Hotcakesman

Hotcakesman Active Member

very easy job
    I had to do all of mine due to a bent valve cover

waldreps likes this.
  6. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Done mine too.. Best option is toi get a cheap m6 helicoil kit off ebay. you will then get the correct size drill bit and tap for the insert, and all you need. Its ally so grease your tap well and go slowly - otherwise the material will 'tear'..

waldreps likes this.