1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Vancouver BC

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by leadboots, Sep 6, 2009.

1. leadboots

leadboots Member

Just looking for some xjers in the vancouver area. Might need some parts soon. If any one needs some help working on there bikes let me know.

2. YVRxj650

YVRxj650 Member

There is a few of us vancouver locals around here. I only just joined the forum a few weeks ago - I sure am impressed with the knowledge many of the members here have for these bikes!

Leadboots, are you in YVR, or are you back in Aylmer ON?

3. leadboots

leadboots Member

Im in Van for a few months. I dont have my bike here. But im working on my buddies bosses bike.

4. jdpesz

jdpesz Member

Eric (Plansea) lives in Burnaby. He has a couple of Secas. Should be chiming in any time now............ :roll:

5. plansea

plansea Member

Thanks and hi , Jeff,
    Yes, Leadboots and YVRxj650 I am in Burnaby and usually take my bikes to work in North Van to wrench them. I am on holidays next week and will be doing some bike work if the weather stays rainy. Monday the front wheel comes off the 650 so I can get a new tire installed on Tuesday. Jeff has got me curious if my 750 tank will fit on my 650- I find the range is a little too low with the scalloped 650 tank.
    If either of you want to get together for coffee or compare bikes I'll give you my cellphone number if you PM me.
    I usually ride all year except when there is snow or ice on the ground. I started Jan. 15th this year.
    Eric

6. plansea

plansea Member

YVRxj650 and I went for a short ride from Burnaby to Belcarra and the "ghost town" of Ioco, this afternoon.

The only thing better than hearing the exhaust from one XJ bike is listening to two of them wind up through the gears and sharing the fun of riding together on some vintage XJ's !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eric

7. YVRxj650

YVRxj650 Member

Good times, Eric.

Thanks for the pics. Next time, longer for sure.

Cheers. Alan

8. leadboots

leadboots Member

nice lookin bikes guys

9. plansea

plansea Member

10. jdpesz

jdpesz Member

One of these days I gotta get my passport so I can come up there and hit some of those roads with you. Maybe next summer, when I have more vacation.

11. plansea

plansea Member

Hi, Jeff

Come on up anytime! How about an XJ meet up in Canada next year?

What would be the best month for everyone?

April told me it was my turn next year :)

Eric

12. YVRxj650

YVRxj650 Member

I'd be in. My first thought is late May, early June. Less rain and warmer weather. That's a long way off, tho...

13. XJLee

XJLee Member

Hey guys!

I just joined the forum, would love to get together and talk xj's with you dudes! I am in the process of restoring a 1981 xj650, and would appreciate any help I can get. This forum seems like just the thing I was looking for.

Cheers!

Lee

14. YVRxj650

YVRxj650 Member

Hey Lee, glad you are aboard.

You are in the right place - this forum is GREAT - especially for people like me who are not mechanically inclined. Lots of friendly members who can help with everything XJ related.

If you have any specific questions about your restoration, you might want to do a search - from reading through here the past couple months, it seems that many topics have already been covered in depth. On that score, I would recommend this recent post - "Things to do before you post": http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=9032.html

And, as you can see from this string - meeting up with other local XJers.

You should post your location and that you own an 81 XJ650 (maxim or seca?) in your signature and profile - that way the other members can better help you when you have a question about restoring your XJ.

Good luck wrenching your bike - I'm going to try to get some rides in before the rains come...

15. XJLee

XJLee Member

Thanks Alan!

I will check out those FAQ's so as to not piss anyone off with the usual repeated questions...
    Will post pics tonight!

Have fun guys...

16. plansea

plansea Member

Hi, Lee and Alan

I have PM'd both of you.

I am in North Burnaby and travel through Coquitlam so a coffee is a definite possibility!

Let's see some pics of your bike and hear what you need to get on the road with us!

Eric

17. nkavanau

nkavanau Member

Count me in..I'd agree with YVR on the May/June being the best time. But really, any time is good.
    Just getting packed to head over to Victoria tomorrow. Take a few days and visit family. Just hope the weather holds..

18. plansea

plansea Member

Some possibilities to move the planning ahead:

The Canadian Victoria Day holiday falls on Monday, May 24 so perhaps Saturday May 22 or Sunday May 23 so XJ'ers from both sides of the border could attend.

Alternatives would be the weekend before or the weekend after if the holiday weekend would interfere with family events.

IF we can get a time pinned down, we can then work on a location and group event.

Eric

19. YVRxj650

YVRxj650 Member

I would suggest the week after - the "May Two-Four" weekend is pretty sacred to my family and friends. And, if it were not the long weekend, our U.S. compadres won't have to battle long weekend border lines...

So, for my 0.02, I'd say Saturday, May 29.

20. plansea

plansea Member

Hi, Alan

OK now we have a day, May 29. I could see problems with the long weekend, too.

I have been asking Gamuru for advice and Don said just pick a day.

I think we just did that.

Step 2 is location: close to the border, in the city, in the valley, North Van so we could go to Squamish or Whistler?

Anybody any suggestions?

Date is now firm Saturday, May 29, 2010