1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Vancouver BC

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by leadboots, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Impulser91

Impulser91 Member

Passed my full Class 6 road test yesterday. I was able to get a canceled appointment in Victoria.

2. plansea

plansea Member

Congrats!

Just in time for the long weekend and a long ride!

Best wishes,
    Eric

3. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Hey guys, I just picked up my first bike, an 82 Seca 650 and I'm going for my MST on Tuesday and then my full Cl6 asap since I'm pretty capable of riding already and just need more mileage. I've already planned a few camping/day trips out and I'm really excited for it, biking is really addicting. I live in Surrey but I don't know anybody that rides so I thought I'd say hello in here and maybe meet up some time.

4. plansea

plansea Member

Hi, Brandon

Welcome on board! I am not sure when our next group ride will be, but we are always looking for more riders. I am usually up for a ride most weekends. Hope to meet up with you soon!

Eric

5. Impulser91

Impulser91 Member

Hi Brandon, i have been riding pretty much everyday since i passed my MST.

Good luck on your testing.

I am free for riding just about anytime, so if you want to go for a ride just let us know and we will see what can be arranged.

6. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Planning to ride up to Kelowna soon but I'm just working on getting the bike updated. My first purchase of a bike and I didn't know anything about them so I'm fixing things that the PO never did and getting it into shape where I feel happy with it. Odd problems and the like. Fuel filter, fuses, new cables, etc. Where would you guys recommend I get tires from?

7. YVRxj650

YVRxj650 Member

Hey Brandon, check the recent discussion on tires here: new tire forum.

I bought my rear tire a few weeks back at North Shore Yamaha/Suzuki. I bought the front tire late last fall at Modern Motorcycling on Commercial in Vancouver. They are matching Bridgestone Spitfires. Neither North Shore or Modern were cheap. Then again, I didn't think they were expensive, either.

Read the forum linked above and you will see what other tires the guys who know more than me recommend.

If you are out in the valley, I would recommend Western Powersports on the Langley Bypass...they were nice guys when I dealt with them years ago.

8. newbie2011

newbie2011 Member

hi all, dont you just love this site? im a new owner of an 82 xj550 so ive been told i havent looked into that part of it yet , but i am looking for some xj experts in my area, i havent heard my bike pure yet as i cant get it started its been 3 months and im really wanting it hear it roar please help me vancouver

9. -Azrael-

-Azrael- Member

I'm in North Van. Drop me a line if some ride's will be going on this year.
    Got an 83xj750, bobbed

Cheers
    Dave

10. Impulser91

Impulser91 Member

Hey Everyone...

I guess its getting to be that time of year. Looking to setup another ride.

Also, could use a hand to rebuild my carbs before/afterwards.

I just moved to my new home in Port Coquitlam and finally have a garage. I remember someone mentioning that they had a sync tool and experience with the carbs on our last ride.

If your interested hit me up. My bike does run. I need to do the carbs, clutch, valve cover gasket, and front/rear shocks. I am hoping the carb job fixes its little quirks. But just the carbs for now.

11. Stan.Leschert

Stan.Leschert New Member

Just thought that I'd poke my nose in. 82 XJ 1100 in North Van. Almost done the restoration....I'm mainly on the xs11 site, but do check in here every now and then. Cheers.

12. frantic_vike

frantic_vike New Member

Hi,

I'm in Vancouver for the summer and looking to do some rides. I need to get my front fork seals replaced and I don't have any tools or anywhere to work as I'm staying with friends. Can anyone recommend a decent mechanic? I'm staying right near Modern Motorcycling on commercial, are they decent?

Cheers,

Tim

13. Rickinduncan

Rickinduncan Member

I had my front forks on my 82 Seca done at Duncan Motorsports. No problem getting the parts or the work done. No leaking now. $253 for parts labour and taxes. If the leaking just started, try the 35 mm film trick to clean the seal. I've fixed a leaking seal on my 'wing using this method and it worked like a charm.

14. -Azrael-

-Azrael- Member

Magiks Motorcycle (I can get you the number when I get to work on tuesday)
    We send all of our virago/maxim work to Magiks and have never heard anything bad about him.

Otherwise I can't really say much

Cheers
    Dave

15. frantic_vike

frantic_vike New Member

Azrael,

That'd be great. I did a google search for him but couldn't find a number.

Rickinduncan,

It's been leaking since I got it and I'm pretty sure it's getting worse, but I'll look into the film trick.

16. -Azrael-

-Azrael- Member

[​IMG]

Here ya go

Dave

17. frantic_vike

frantic_vike New Member

I just called that number and got a very strange answering machine, so I took a drive over there. Looks like a completely residential neighbourhood, so unless I'm missing something I'm wondering if he's still in business. Azrael, when did you last deal with this fellow?

Cheers,

Tim

18. -Azrael-

-Azrael- Member

It was a one man business so it is likely run out of his garage. Haven't talked to him in a few months so it is possible he went under... Was a good guy so I sure hope not...

Otherwise I don't really know. We deal with Cypress motorbike quite a bit and they're good guys who work on the older bikes but I have no personal knowledge of their work.

On another note though, does anyone in Van have a colortune I can borrow for a week or two?

Cheers
    Dave

19. frantic_vike

frantic_vike New Member

Dave,

I got a call back from Magik today and he quoted me a price of about half what I'd heard. He does indeed run his shop out of his garage. I'm bringing my bike in tomorrow and I'll post a follow up when I get it back.

Cheers,

Tim

20. -Azrael-

-Azrael- Member

I'm glad he is still around.

Cheers
    Dave