1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

VIN identification....

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by chacal, Dec 27, 2007.

1. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Another out-in-left-field question, the kind that could only come from me..... :D

Okay, when I look on eBay at Yamaha XJ-series bikes, the VIN number is always expressed as something like this (regardless of what state the seller might located in):

JYA5N8005CA011110

The above VIN is from a 1982 XJ650 Maxim, but........here's the part that I can't figure out.

The first three positions of the VIN are (I'm pretty sure on this) the Universal Manufacturer ID of the "vehicle", in this case the "JYA" stands for "Yamaha of Japan".

The next 3 positions represent the bike MODEL, in this case being "5N8" which is, indeed, the production code ID for a 1982 XJ650 Maxim.

The last six positions is the unique "serial number" for this particular bike, in this case being "011110"....and those numbers are assigned sequentially at the factory and provides a unique number to each individual frame that comes down the assembly line. I note from the XJCD that 1982 XJ650 Maxim models started with serial number "000101", so in fact this particular bike is the 11,109th XJ650J built for the US marketplace.

In fact, on the steering head post of this bike should be stamped 5N8-011110 (as should be on the engine case, if the bike has the original engine).

BUT what are the "other" number/letters in the VIN represent---the ones that I've highlighted in red below?

JYA5N8005CA011110

Any help would be appreciated!

2. ryan_975

ryan_975 Member

3. chacal

Darned you're good! Thanks!!

4. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

Well if JYA5N8005CA011110 decoded shows 4-8 as Unknown that isn't much help. According to the service manual for my Mitsubishi Starion those all have a purpose. For instance JA3BC54H1FZ400001 shows #4 is Other, a B there indicates Manual Seat Belts. Number 5 is the Line, C=Starion. Number 6 is the Series, 5=Premium. Number 7 is Body type, 4= 2 door hatchback, and number 8 is Engine, H=2.6 liter turbo. The 12th digit is the Destination code, Federal=4, California=5 (for emissions I suppose). It doesn't show what other options mean but the rest are the same as Yamaha.

5. ryan_975

ryan_975 Member

Yeah, it wasn't very helpful, but it was the first site to pop up in Google last night. However, in that site's defense, each manufacturer is allowed to use digits 3-8 however they want as long as they follow the rules on what digits are allowed and not allowd (I, O, and Q). Here's an example detailed position information based on how GM does it:

1 = Country of Origin
    2 = Manufacturer
    3 = Division
    4 = Restraint System
    5 = Series
    6 = Body style 1
    7 = Body style 2
    8 = Engine Information
    9 = Check Digit
    10 = Model Year
    11 = Aseembly Plant
    12-17 = Mfg specific serial number

So, JYA5N8005CA011110 would tell you that it's a Japanese origin Yamaha (maybe even an American division within Yamaha if there is such a thing) manufactured vehicle. However, between digits 3 and 9 (the check digit) Yamaha simply injected the first part of the old style VIN (5N8-xxxxxx) and some padding zeros into the new one. So there's nothing to really decode. The check digit and model year digit are of course valid for legal reasons, It's anyone's guess what plant "A" might be. Then you have the serial number.

6. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

You guys have a subject going that I have an interest in.

I have a 82 xj750 seca.
    Bike is titled under said eng/frame numb.
    The guys in texas wont inspect the bike w/o valid vin.

I have most of the numbers w/ the exception of 3.
    If what was said is true above then you guys could help.

the vin I hav is JYA5G2-???-CA107546
    Three question marks I have no clue.

If someone could point me in the right direction I can check the VIN possiblities with my insurance database,
    That darn sticker just started to rub away...

Thanks for the help ahead of time

7. chacal

Well, according to the above, the ??? should be "00?" , with the last ? being a check digit, which from my research, is always based upon the actual serial number portion of the VIN. That check digit could be 0-9 or A-Z. So your insurance company would have to try 36 combinations, starting with "000" all the way to "00Z" and you should hit paydirt that way!

8. ryan_975

ryan_975 Member

If what I said above is true, then the first two question marks would be 00, then the third would have to be the check digit.

So it's look like it would be JYA5G2003CA107546, assuming I calculated the check digit right.

9. chacal

What method are you using to calculate the check digit = 3?

The double zeros should be correct.

10. ryan_975

ryan_975 Member

No, the check digit is based on all the other VIN numbers, not just the last 6. It's an algorithm that transliterates each letter into an equivalent numerical value from 1 through 9. Then after then VIN has been converted entirely to numeric digits, each position's value is multiplied by that position's weight value. Next, you take the products of the last step for each position and add them together and devide by 11. Whatever remainder you get is your check digit. If you get 10, replace it with X.

Oh and the check digit can only be 0-9 and X.

11. chacal

Good golly, Miss Molly. You don't happen to have that algorithim handy, do you (the conversion of letters to their numerical values, and the weights assigned to each position)?

12. ryan_975

ryan_975 Member

This should help

http://www.kerrywilson.com/vin.htm

13. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

BINGO!!!!!!!

That was just what I needed.
    Ryan do people cheat off of you when your in class, at least I thought you were taking classes from a prev post.
    Anyhow, I WOULD cheat off you ....THANKS :)

14. ryan_975

ryan_975 Member

Well, I've been asked if I would mind if people set next to me during tests. :D. I did have one class that I was making a D in, but only because I wasnt focusing on that class and let it slip. I did get it up to a B though.

15. chacal

Ryan is my hero............

16. Robert

Robert Active Member

Most enlightening Ryan! Muy gracias!

17. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Hey! Can anyone tell me what model a 5V3 code represents?

Thanks!

18. chacal

It is a CANADIAN model 1982 XJ650 RJ (Seca) model. The serial numbers for this model started at 000101 and moved up from there. If you stll have the original engine in the bike, the engine number should be 5V3-xxxxxx, where "xxxxxx" is the same number stamped on the right side of the steering head pipe.

19. 94pete

94pete New Member

Ran my VIN# and the check digit (9) shows invalid.

20. chacal

Man, bummer, you must have a bogus bike. Better give it to me to make sure you don't get in any more trouble.... :D