1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

want to confirm next steps after smelling gas from oil filler opening

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kosel, Mar 27, 2017.

1. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

To be fair, I should also add, that this could be in my head. I'm a big guy and have been riding a 1300 V-Star. The 650Seca is a big difference in every way imaginable (size, weight, power, handling, RPMs, loudness, ride position, etc.).

That said, I tend to pick up on things like this (car or bike) and I believe there was a difference in how it performed from a stop between the start of my commute and the end of it.

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

One other possible thing is the clutch could slip especially if you had put synthetic oil in ...with a worn clutch this could show up as not having as much ump .

3. kosel

I've been sticking with conventional 4-stroke motorcycle oil. Any suggestions as to how to go about testing the clutch?

4. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

If the clutch is adjusted correctly, engine side first, then lever, it will NOT slip under load, unless your oil is really out of spec, clutch plates, springs are worn

5. kosel

I have never taken the clutch cable off. I did adjust the cable yesterday to make sure I had the play in the clutch handle stated in the manual.

I'm about to leave work and fire it up again, so we'll see how it goes.

6. kosel

OK. I noticed two things:

First, with enrichment circuit on, it didn’t start at the push of a button. I tri d a couple of time and then I gave a small twist of the throttle and it started and stayed running.

Second, when I took off from the parking lot, the clutch seemed to grab better than I remember this morning. However, I don’t really feel the “friction zone” until almost the end of releasing the clutch lever. Once moving, I never notice any slipping or loss of power. Just a lack of “grab” when getting started.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

when my clutch was going it slipped at 5K under load, starting out hard never seemed to bother it.
    if Hogfiddles did the carbs, he might set them a little rich and that's better than lean, talk to him about that.
    but anyhow it's close so don't go far adjusting them, figure from 12:00 to 1:00 for leaner or 12:00 to 11:00 for richer

kosel likes this.
  8. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Loosen the adjustment at the lever end, then adjust the engine end, first, you want about 3-4 mm of play before the plates start to lift/disengage , but this is also a very personal option.....

How many miles?

Was she stored, for a long time, plates could be sticking, hard to wear out the clutches on these >45,000 miles, all things considered normal operating parameters!!

9. kosel

I took up all the slack I could at the engine end. I'm in the middle of the lever-end adjuster with about 2 mm of play. I can add a couple more. I've also put a new clutch cable on the shopping list.

Maybe what I'm experiencing is normal, but it's very different compared to the fuel injected V-Star 1300 I've been riding. With the lever squeezed in, I only feel the friction in the last 20mm of the lever. So, when starting out, there's not a very large friction zone to use. This is in contrast with the larger amount of throttle twist needed.

22,000+

Several long rides at the end of the 2016 season. One spin on the highway on a warm day in February 2017. On the center stand since then, until this past weekend.

10. kosel

I don't believe my issue is clutch. I believe it is idle mixture.

I took a long ride on the highway and spent some time in a flat parking lot, paying attention to clutch engagement and acceleration responsiveness. while standing still, I can feel the clutch engage earlier in the lever than I thought. But, I need more throttle than I would have think to keep it from dying. Notably, once rolling, it feels a bit sluggish until I near 3000 RPMs. Based on my reading, that's when the main circuit starts taking over from the pilot circuit, leading me to think idle mixture.

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

go back to the parking lot with a screwdriver, try again like it is then turn your mixture screws from 12:00 to 1:00 and try it again

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

1. Just curious..... what does it do if you remove the air filter?

2. If you need me to go back in and double-check or look anything over, I will.

3. Have you checked the balance again?

Dave F

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Dave, just out of curiosity, where do you usually leave the mixture screws set?

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

For the 650/750 hitachis I set them at 2.5 turns out plus 1/8 additional turn.

15. kosel

@Polock, @hogfiddles, I'll check everything out Thursday evening and post results back here.

16. kosel

OK. I've had the chance to get a variety of rides in and pay closer attention to how the bike is acting.

First, starting. It very seldom starts with a simple push of the button, usually requiring a twist of the throttle. It happens whether the bike is hot or cold. I can live with it for now, but I'll keep working on it.

Next, bogging down when taking off from a standstill. I'm about 90% certain this is in my head. As I've gotten more used to this bike's higher RPMs it's been less of an issue.

After I get back from Sturgis, I'll tackle the next two issues. When turning at very low speed, the bike REALLY wants to turn. At speed or when going straight, it tracks incredibly well, but a low speed turn it feels almost instable.

Also, I hear a clunk from the front end when I go over a bump.

I'll start with bearings and forks.

Thanks again, everyone.

17. kosel

It's time to start planning the front end work. I don't have a heated workplace, so I'll start with research and getting the parts. I'll be ordering the tapered bearing kit and performance fork kit fromXJ4Ever and I'll contact Len directly for parts and advice. But, I also wanted to get input from others on my forks.

I seem to have an aftermarket air-assist kit (see photo). The other fork has the same setup and you can see a small tube running between them. To make it fit, the fork top is about a 1 cm proud. I'm not committed to keeping them or getting rid of them and wanted to hear from the experts.

Are these common? Should I keep them?
    IMG_2673.JPG

18. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I've not seen a set like that. Being able to adjust the air spring is a good thing. Unless you plan on upgrading to a modern fork, I'd keep them.

19. kosel

I should also ask, if I keep them, what should the pressure be?

20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The only thing I have to go by is the specs for the 750. Start with 6 PSI and increase to your liking. Maximum is 17 PSI. More air for more load.