1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted: Carb Rebuild Service

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by Brouhaha, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Brouhaha

Brouhaha New Member

Looking for someone to rebuild the carbs from by 81 650 maxim.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

3. flash1259

flash1259 Member

it would help is we knew where you are so we can send you to a local shop

4. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Polock, have you ever used this company? Nice website.

5. Brouhaha

Brouhaha New Member

Thank you for the help guys. I am in Omaha, Neb.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

personally no, but he seams to be the man over at kzriders.com

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

Looks like they offer discounts to forum groups, OH SNO....!!!
    And active duty... nice of them.

8. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

I found this listing on Ebay, , I might take him up on it. Here is a paste of what the listing states for only $185.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    What I am offering is a complete rebuilt set of Carbs, with your exchange of the same EXACT type, brand, model and year Carburetors as a core exchange. The rebuilt Carburetors that I have for sale, have been stripped down, cleaned, worn parts replaced where needed, adjusted according to manufactured and then reassembled. Your core exchange must be complete, have good working slide diaphragms, air cut off valves and/or vacuum valves.

I also do rejetting and custom jetting to match the performance of any modifications you have done to your bike. But you will be responsible for custom order re-jetting.

If you do not have a core exchange, then you must contact me for availability and pricing for your particular set of Carbs,

I have more than 20 years experience rebuilding Japanese motorcycle Carburetors. I know what it is like to buy a set of Carburetors off the internet, for what may seem to be a real deal, only to find out you need to have them rebuilt. I am offering you more than rebuilt Carbs, I am offering you peace of mind.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS AN EXCHANGE LISTING, and you will have to send your set of Carbs, first, to make sure that I match your set of Carbs with the exact same model as your originals. In some cases it may be necessary to rebuild your original set. When you send your Carburator to use, please include your name, address, e-mail address, make, model and year of the motorcycle the Carbs come off of.

PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE YOU BID ON THESE CARBS, to be sure they are the right application. You can contact me at sellmastersrus@yahoo.com.

These Carburetors in the listing pictures are actual customers carbs that have been completely rebuilt. These Carbs are for identification purposes only. Please check my recent feed back on the Carburetors I have rebuilt.

I look forward to hearing from you and doing business with you.

Thanks for looking -

James

--------------------------------------------------------------
    I think I'm going to take him up on it.

9. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Whats going on with them? I could look at them for you if you wanted to ship up here to St. Paul MN. if you can't find anyone.

10. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

I just figured for under $200 it's worth having done to have all new stuff.

11. MN-Maxims

Sounds tempting but are you sure your getting all new stuff. I would like to know how much he really charges if your carbs have any of the issues that 95% of them do. Stripped screws, Frozen mixture screws, stripped/ frozen bowl screws, Missing parts, Rusty carb hats, bad slides. Bet the price goes through the roof for those items.
    I'm from the old school " If its sounds too good to be true it mostlikely is not"
    Just look at what Chacal offers those parts for a complete overhaul. I Don't know how he could do a complete job for less then 200.00

Maybe someone reading this has used this service and can write in what their experience was.

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

On occasions, I will restore a set of carbs for a Member of this forum.
    Labor ... alone, is $245.00 Base. Cleaning and adding Kits.
    Complications add-on Labor charges at me Hourly Rate.
    ALL NEW Parts are supplied by the client.

I don't spray the Bodies with Degreaser and hose them off.
    Clean-up the Fuel Bowls
    Throw-in Kits ... and, call that a Carb Cleaning.
    <><><><><><><><>

I wouldn't send a good set of Carbs to some guy who claims that you'll get them back -- Good-to-go.
    You might not be getting your Carbs Cleaned right.
    You might not be getting "Your" Carbs BACK. You might be getting an "Exchange Set"

Worst Case:
    Sending-in you Carbs plus a Buck-80 and NEVER seeing YOUR Carbs again!
    Get three references.
    Check them.
    Go from there.

13. Brouhaha

Brouhaha New Member

My bike has been sitting for 8 years. So I thought it would be best to have the carbs gone through.

14. MN-Maxims

They need a good cleaning and look over. Might not need too much. Would depend on how many parts would be needed to get them up to a good running standard.

15. herbert09

herbert09 New Member

Steer clear of sellmastersrus from oregon! Two months ago I found an ebay posting with great seller reviews for this guy in Oregon, James who "specializes" in old Japanese carbs. The deal is he cleans, rebuilds, replaces worn parts, and restores the factory settings on your carburetors and then ships them back in four weeks. $200+ shipping. I contacted him, sent them off then called the following week to confirm their arrival. Four weeks pass and I call to see how the progress is coming. He gives me a line about an accident he had I asked him to please send them back even though he'd not gotten to them, I'd like to just call it even- I'd pay shipping. He apologizes, says he'll put them at the front of the rebuild line . A week later, he calls says their done, pay him and they'll be on their way. I paypaled the 200 bucks and then checked my email a few days later for a fed ex confirmation number. No dice, I called him, he said that there were more parts missing off my carbs than he initially expected, needed a hundred bucks for extra parts that he had to rob off of other sets. I needed em back pronto so I could finish this build, so I sent the 100 dollars. He said they would be sent out that Monday and thought it was done. Wednesday rolls around and still no confirmation number. I called again, he said his secretary was out for the weekend so he couldn't confirm my payment. Called later in the week, no answer. Next day same story. Finally a confirmation number popped up in my email. I got em in the next week. Upon opening the box I found that they were packed in an empty WOOD MULCH bag among other things. There was sawdust and sand everywhere. I blew them out the best I could and put fuel to them, the bowls leaked both from the drains and around the gasket on one. I took them by a local motorcycle shop where a friend of mine who is a tech there looked them over and noticed that they'd not even replaced the bowl gaskets, crushed an o-ring on the inside and overall did a really shotty job. I'd been taken. I called James and very nicely asked what he could do to make this right. I didn't ask for a full refund, just enough to get them fixed. Instead of trying to help, he simply defended his work and called me a liar, then hung up in my ear.
    Throughout the whole process I was tactful. I was foolish to hire this guy, but Roy Rogers said, "Good judgement comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
    These guys are far and few between, but here's one more pit flagged for those who come after. -HB

16. RickCoMatic

Make sure the party you hire to clean the Carbs ... KNOWS ... how to do a thorough and complete job.

These were cleaned pretty good. But, the Bike wouldn't run. That's when they wound-up on my Bench and I found this:

Main FUEL Jet: ___
    [​IMG]

Main FUEL Jet (Inside): ___
    [​IMG]

Emulsion Tube Ports: ___
    [​IMG]

If you send-off Carbs to be Cleaned by someone claiming to send them back to you "Ready to Bolt-on and Go". You had better look for "Checks" onn all the boxes of the Check-off Sheet YOU send with the Carbs.

17. ethanch

ethanch Member

I hope you left Neg feedback so others will not make the same mistake.

18. RickCoMatic

Holy Smokes ...
    I just looked at the Ebay Listing for this Carb Cleaning Guy.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... %26otn%3D4

The photo show a Set of Carbs ... Totally broken-down ... Rack Split ... and Rebuilt Kits as part of THE DEAL!

$225.00 US. ⬅
    Impossible! ☚ ☚ ☚

A decent Carb Kit is around 18-20 Bucks
    $80.00 Parts (Alone) ✔

$225.00 Total Cleaning Cost?
    - 80.00 Carb Kits
    $145.00 ????

$145.00 ÷ 14 Hrs *Straight Labor-Splitting-Rack + Seals = $10.35 Hr.

Seems low.
    Maybe my Math is fuzzy.

19. FastMaxim82

FastMaxim82 Member

seems low yes

20. ethanch

ethanch Member

This guy James on eBay (sellmastersrus07) is the same guy herbert09 previous page said to stay away from, go back a page and read his post about the crappy service/job james did/didn't do for him.