1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Was left stranded, XJ750 Seca no power to anything need help.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Joeoeo, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Took a good look at how the PO put in the inline fuse holders and to my surprise was done properly soldered and heatshrinked

2. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Ignition switch looks really new. contacts and all internals were super clean. I believe this is a Maxim style ignition switch, would that cause a problem with my bike being a SECA model?

Attached Files:

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

po could have done bad job soldering or just twisted wires together cut back the heat shrink to find 3 live feeds from brown wire.
    if you get no voltage after that you may have to unwrap harness tape to find splices to brown wire .
    all 3 failing I would clean and inspect the key switch first

4. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Right I have already cleaned ignition switch and contacts. it seems really new. Guess now I have to find where the hot 12v brown wire splices off. It doesn't appear to be in the headlight bucket mess. Will do it bright and early tomorrow as it is dark already.

5. XJ550H

it splices someplace inside the main wiring harness.

unfortunetly that same brown wire goes to computer monitor and alternator and rectifier.

6. XJ550H

when you pull the ignition switch put a jumper wire from red to brown on the harness connector that goes to the switch see if you have power at fuse

Franz and Joeoeo like this.
  7. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Yeah I had put everything back together after messing around with the fuse wires and ignition switch wires and noticed the red (or brown i forget) was melted on the connector. I cleaned the connector to the best of my ability and everything electrical works now. I have ordered some new connectors and will do it up professionally when parts are in. Today I wired in a new voltage regulator and tomorrow will upgrade the fusebox. hopefully electrical will be done and I can move onto new brakes.

8. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

update: New regulator I ordered was defective (should of bought from xj4ever ) for fun I hooked up the old voltage regulator and cleaned / fixed all melted charging system connections. with a new multimeter seems like 14.8 is the max charging volts when revving the engine which is in spec. Removed alternator cover and cleaned the copper rings and the 2 brushes were in spec. How important is the gasket that goes in between the cover and the engine? should I remove all gasket material and replace or just leave it? pic is before cleaning 20190101_122320.jpg

9. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

That gasket's main job is to keep water out of the housing. I wouldn't run that cover without one but it's hard to tell from your picture what shape yours is in. If it's in one piece then I'd say run it. you can put a little sealant on it, make sure you don't block the weep hole at the bottom as this allows any moisture that accumulates in there.

Joeoeo and Franz like this.
  10. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

This here along with cleaning usually fixes many charging issues. You can buy just the connections and replace them. I will usually crimp and solder these followed by some heat shrink. Pic is just for reference, might not be the correct part.

[​IMG]