1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Water in Engine

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bigshankhank, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

So, I bought a once well-loved XJ700 from a neighbor for $70, with a title. The problem is, this neighbor had left the bike sitting outdoors, uncovered, with the valve cover, exhaust and spark plugs all removed. So yeah, rolling the bike into the garage caused watery oil to bubble out of the gear case breather. I can imagine there is more.
    The head looks like this;
    [​IMG]
    If, and this is a huge IF, this engine can be salvaged, what would be your first step?

To me, I would drain the oil/water concoction and replace with clean oil, understanding that that will not fully cleanse the bottom end but at least it will reduce the contaminants inside. Then, (the engine is seized) add an acetone/ATF mix into the cylinders to free the pistons and maybe expose the master link in the cam chain to enable easier head removal. I can imagine that the head is scrap, but replacement heads from parts bikes can be had for $75, so no problem there. At least with this plan one would not circulate the contaminated oil around the bottom end bearings. Then, remove the cylinder bank, mic and hone the cylinders and pistons, replace the rings (assuming everything is within spec), clean the carbs, check out the iggy, put it all back together, change the oil again, give the engine a few test start ups, flush the engine with new oil and maybe some MMO, then start into work on the ancillary systems like the shaft drive, brakes and suspension. Worst case, a replacement engine can be sourced for these for a few hundred, or even a later (non-tariff restricted) 750cc engine.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If the crank and transmission guts are rusty it ain't worth it.

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

After draining it I'd pull the clutch cover and have a look. It'll give you some idea how much corrosion was going on in the bottom end.

If it collected much water the clutch will be shot anyhow.

4. Bigshankhank

I drained the oil, lots of water. Just under 8 quarts of "fluid" came out of the engine through the crankcase drain plug and filter housing. I went ahead and poured in 5 quarts of 5W-20 just in the hope that it will squeeze into the bottom end and displace any remaining water. Can't hurt.
    Tomorrow night I will take a stab at draining the gear oil out of the tranny.

5. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

Gear oil should only be in the rear end. The tranny has the same oil as the crank, although there is another drain plug, it's likely contaminated with the same stuff...

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I would start looking for an engine. Go ahead and hold on to that one. Eventually it will be economical to rebuild (30 to 40 more years on).

7. Bigshankhank

Well I mixed up some acetone and ATF and poured a few ounces in each cylinder. I'll check back in the morning to see if it soaked past the rings.

8. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Once freed up, his engine will need to be torn down, and have all the seals replaced as part of a rebuild anyway.

10. Bigshankhank

This.
    I have heard nothing but amazing stories about how acetone and ATF make for a fantastic penetrating fluid. Never tried it, so I figured I would give it a chance here.

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

dude, what you have there is a boat anchor

12. Bigshankhank

Most likely, yes. But I am a tinkerer, so I will at least pull off and clean up what parts I can for resale, and if I can get it running one day (either with this engine or a swap) so much the better.

13. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

hank, if nothing else, save the cases and build your new engine from them---that way you'll have matching numbers.............assuming the engine is still the original one to the frame.....

dave F

14. Bigshankhank

Oh, I'm not that married to the idea of originality. Fact is, it would probably be easier to find a 750 to swap in rather than another 700 if and when it becomes obvious that this engine cannot be saved.

15. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Then empty the cases and someone might be interested in the parts.........

16. Bigshankhank

Patience, let me get there on my own.

17. Bigshankhank

Anyway, the penetrating fluid drained out of three of the four cylinders, so I took a crescent wrench to the left end of the crankshaft and sure enough it moved about 1/8". Baby steps.

I also went ahead and removed the carbs and cams to help with the engine rotation. The carb boots are in pretty good shape, and the cam journals looked good for the most part, but I haven't really cleaned them up yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

If any of the cam "toes" are as rough as the "heel" in the upper left - get different cams.

19. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Hey, look at the fun you are having! It is keeping you out of other trouble. Now if this was a Vincent or a Gold Star everybody would be advising you to save every little original part. If this goes back together-cool! If not, you at least had a lot of fun for little money. Good Luck, this is going to be fun to watch.

20. Bigshankhank

Replacement cams are cheap, but I'll still take a little 00000 wool to these and see if they shine up.

Somebody gets it.