1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What Did You Do This Winter To Your Bike?

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by gang3, Mar 27, 2015.

1. gang3

gang3 Member

My New Look For My 82 650http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/gang311/IMG_20150326_182858_093_zpsdcotfm81.jpg
    Well I did some remodeling on my 82 650 this winter it still runs like a sweetheart but looks a little badass
    I changed my pipes my bags and rear lights, Still got the solo seat setup ,But redid my bags to match my seat better, And I built some custom straight pipes and left my exhaust air collector in place so it did not screw with my calibration of my carbs Runs just as good And now sounds awesome.[​IMG]http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/gang311/IMG_20150326_182838_168_zpseb3tbped.jpg
    I`m not having any luck with my pics so i`ll try linking to them here [​IMG]
    Then another view.jpg and another one n40.jpgand finally [​IMG] my lazy winter how about it Folks

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. gang3

gang3 Member

[​IMG] Well this turned out badly i will have to figure out the pic thing
    I Changed out the windshield for one off of a newer model yamaha 2009 Lots more height but kinda wavy in high winds. Fits good around main headlight almost airtight fit.
    I have 4 into 2 exhaust i left that part alone but changed from the collector back to two straight 1.5 inch chrome pipe about 16 inches long with some short heat shields over the transition area for a clean look, And wrapped the headers with black Fiberglas pipe wrap. Changed my speedo with a gps equipped with digital speedo, Added a tach off a 1980 yamaha but plan on a digital setup soon. I`ll load pics of the rear coming up showing new running /brake lights of a 80`s sportster,And tail bag hanging from original Yamaha sissy bar.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. gang3

gang3 Member

im working on it[​IMG]

4. gang3

gang3 Member

I Really got messed up trying to load pictures, Not Sure why but here is the rest of the story not much just the back end of my bike as it has changed a little also when i chopped the frame I cut right behind the shock mount like most people do when chopping these long frames. I cut the plastic inner back fender down and used about half of the length for a rain stopper between the tire and my air box and electronics.Then I took the chrome end piece of fender and installed that right on the visible area behind my seat, about 6-8 inches of chrome fender is all it took, You cannot see the plastic one at all. Then i lowered the bike quite a bit by cutting the springs coils until I had a length of 10.5 inches of spring , This turned out perfect for me, As i am 5`9" and 185 lbs kinda short legged guy, built like a pit bull. I can sit flat footed in the seat,Which is what i wanted, and The bike has not bottomed out on even the worst pot holes i have hit. I Found a original Yamaha eagle emblem sissy bar, So I used that with some tail lights off a sportster, and a old light i got from a old tractor that I rebuilt into 12 volts and made a brake light out of it. I like the look and I can always remove the sissy bar and seat back rest if i want the stripped down bobber look for a little change once in a while. But I eliminated the possibility of ever having a rider behind me but that does not really bother me too bad. Then I hung my tail bag on the sissy bar and that completed the look, (for now)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. deepearth

deepearth New Member

I'm not putting mine away! Sure it gets cold here in Colorado but there is still alot of nice 50 degree days. Just have to remember to watch for the squeegee the sand trucks leave behind. I generally winterize with an oil change to a lighter viscosity oil and run a little Seafoam through the carbs. I bought the bike new in Tokyo Japan. Aside from a few minor issues it has been a great bike to ride. I own a 2014 883 Harley as well as a 2011 Honda Phantom Shadow. The Maxim is still my favorite and still offers the thrill of instant acceleration.

Attached Files:

6. racerjase

racerjase New Member

I had my seat re-upholstered by a place in Renton, WA. They did a wonderful job.

7. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

1986 XJ700X
    rebuilt the engine from the pistons up @ 65,000 miles.
    Reason-3 bent valves along with 3 broken valve guides. Reason for breakage unknown?
    Cheaper to by a used or new to me head and jug assembly then to order new valves/valve guides.
    Lapped all 20 of the valves my self- 1 course, 2nd fine and the third fine (again) compound to verify with blue metal paint that all valves are sealed and they were.
    Valves adjustment 19 out of 20 were out of spec. New valve seals also.
    Resurfaced jug and cylinder head.
    New connecting pins for the pistons as well as the rings.
    Repainted the jug and cylinder head 3 coats primer, 3 coats semi gloss black, and 3 coats clear. High temp paint and clear coat used.
    reassembled and she fired right up!
    I put some videos up
    541maxim@youtube to help other X owners out as I could find only a few videos to help me.