1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Pulled both muffles as they are shot. Still looking for another set and or 4 into 1.

2. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Finally made some progress on spring maintenance items. Right now fork seals and tapered neck bearings. Carbs are off currently as well for some rejetting and adjusting/checking over.

Attached Files:

Ryengoth likes this.
  3. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

Got into the bike shed finally! Got the Triumph started right away, it's fuel injected, but the XJ didn't want to go. I let the battery charge an hour then finally got it started and he ran like shit! Absolutely terrible, I could barely keep it running. I shut him down and put the charge back on. Had to head to work so tomorrow I'll see if I can figure out why Brother Seca is running so rough.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  4. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Did you run it dry before you put it up?

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Did you put any Stabil in tank ? I run a 50/50 mix of stabil and marvel mystery oil to full tank ,let it run thru , and run it a few times over winter till engine heats up , a week ago pulled bike out , rode around the block a few times , ran great.

Timbox likes this.
  6. SpearChucker

I didn't run it dry.
    I filled the tank and put stabilizer in then took if for a ride to get it through the system. I did the same last year and all was great.

7. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Mounted headlight today.

Attached Files:

Taylo105 likes this.
  8. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

You should always run it dry until the carbs empty out for storage. Otherwise you'll end up with sticky carb bits, horrible idle and all kinds of throttle fun.

9. SpearChucker

Damn, so what's the solution to screwing up the winter storage?

10. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Clean the carbs probably. Let it run a bit if you can, even on full choke, and see if it will clear up. If not, I'd start with pulling the carb bowls and checking jets, floats and needle/seats. All 4-stroke and 2-stroke small engines should be run dry if you do not plan on running them for several months. Unless, you enjoy carb cleaning. :D

11. SpearChucker

I knew you were going to say that! :confused: It's gonna be the beginning of a lot of work I have to do on Brother Seca. That's why I bought the Sprint ST, I'm gonna need a bike to ride while it's in pieces and I'm figuring how to get the body work painted correctly. I'm planning on going with the stock paint job, but I'm debating taking off the engine guards and putting on the belly spoiler I have from the 750S. Either way it'll be looking good when done. Hello spring, welcome back! :)

Ryengoth likes this.
  12. Nambro

Nambro Member

Replaced the fuel line and installed an inline fuel filter. Also determined the bolt to my oil filter case is FUBAR so I'm stepping away before the neighbors report a crazy man screaming obscenities at a bike.

Timbox and SpearChucker like this.
  13. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Threads or head?

14. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

You are not the first with this issue.
    There are various threads on best way to extract that bugger.
    Before you begin, order the aftermarket one with the larger hex head to install.

15. Nambro

Nambro Member

Head. It's so buggered and rounded I can spin an 11mm around it relatively freely (It was originally 12mm I believe).

Once I get this off I'm converting over to spin-ons. Currently trying to source a dremel or angle grinder to grind it down. Vice grips were just chewing it up and for awhile I was able to hammer on a 11mm spanner but couldn't get it to budge.

16. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Mig weld a bolt onto the tip? Try cinching it tight just a tad and then back off with the vice grips. I've also had luck with using a small pipe wrench when things get that bad.

17. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

18. Nambro

Nambro Member

No welding equipment/experience to speak of but the pipe wrench might be a quicker fix than grinding everything down til it pops. Thanks!

Ryengoth likes this.
  19. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

2-girls.png
    Both my girls passed their NYS inspection today. 2019 riding season, here we come!

Franz, Tim O, SpearChucker and 2 others like this.
  20. Nambro

Nambro Member

Update: I did it! I finally got the f***ing oil filter loose. Reluctant shout out to Harbor Freight.

Standard socket failed, hammering on 11mm spanner failed, vise grips failed, chisel and hammer failed, and pipe wrench failed.

Went to Harbor Freight and picked up a 9 piece bolt extractor set (24.99 I believe), and immediately worked (did use the 11mm bit rather than the 12mm due to how shredded it was)

It's 8:30pm and I'm living in an apartment so that will be the extent of it today, but I think this may be the most satisfaction I've gotten from my bike (stationary) to date. Spin-on conversion to follow. If anyone else has this issue, please try to cheapo Harbor Freight option, it's cheap and it actually worked.

Victory beers to follow.