1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Thanks, been awhile since I've rode a 4 cylinder street bike had a 650 back in the day (1987/88) 5000 seems smooth.
    My only other bike is a WR250 it's a single with no tachometer. I ride single track in a forest I don't worry much about rpm mostly just trying not to hit trees.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

As long as you stay below redline, you don't have to worry about RPM on an XJ either.

3. Uxbridge Brule

My XJ needs some love so I'm glad the low end of Hwy speed leaves me well short of red line, but I'm loving any little progress towards the bike I see in my head. Now if I only was in the USA for the parts availability you guys have(shipping and exchange add up).

4. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

I feel your pain, brother. It's frustrating to click a link and see $ instead of € (or £) time and time again. Maybe the Euros/Aussies/whatevers should pool their parts store links and references? Or is there something like that already? Does Chacal ship to the EU, btw?

5. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Officially added another to the fleet. The girlfriend isnt happy but oh well. Only live once and I couldn't pass up the deal. No matter what I do I cant seem to get the pic to orient the correct way so I apologize in advance but here it is.

Attached Files:

6. Uxbridge Brule

Don't know if Chacal ships to EU but just drop him a quick message a I'm sure he will let you know. I'm in Canada our $ sucks right now so the rebuild is going to be slow and steady. Might have to look for a donor bike.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

chacal ships world wide

8. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Replaced my rear tire and checked the rear brake. I was going to replace the brake shoes but the ones I got aren't even close to fitting inside the brake drum. Fortunately the old shoes looked perfectly serviceable with plenty of lining on them and no sign of delamination. I've never done a tire before and that thing just about kicked my butt! It was super easy getting the wheel off the bike but that tire... MAN! Also it was a lot stiffer than I expected. After I got the wheel on the floor I pulled the core out of the valve stem but NO air came out. I thought that seemed weird, so I drilled a big hole in the sidewall to be double sure and there was definitely no pressure. So I played for quite a while at breaking the bead before I finally got it. The darn thing had ancient green slime inside and appeared to have been glued to the wheel! I must have poured a gallon of sweat on the floor before the tire was actually off, but I got it! The wheel was covered in crud, so I taped a bag over the driveshaft spline and gave the wheel a good wire brushing. Is it common for them to look like this?

WP_20190507_17_29_25_Pro.jpg

New tire went on a lot easier than the old one came off! I just took a little Dawn dish soap I had handy and smeared it all over the bead. Seemed to help a whole bunch...

I hope to do the front tomorrow. Maybe that one will go a little easier!

9. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Good to know but there's still import duties and such to consider. OTOH, at least I'd be sure I'd be getting the right parts for my make and model.

10. Uxbridge Brule

Bought a key blank for the bike $18.25 after taxes then $5 to have it cut at the local hardware store?!?! But at least I got to ride the 20min each way in full sunshine and 8C° weather,good day

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  11. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I've found more new OE parts in NL and UK than in the US with the Exception of Chacal. CMS NL has a lot of various OE bike parts, check them out.

Lodewijk likes this.
  12. XJ550H

guy on ebay cuts keys from the code

13. XJ550H

there is a thread you use duct tape and the tire just about drops onto the rim

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  14. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

You can use the big HVAC zip ties too and they're easier to remove. For the tires I just installed, I had no issues with some soapy water, and 2 tire spoons. It seated immediately and held air. Seems to me the bead would be a bit more problematic to seat when you squish it that much in a few spots.

15. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

After a temporary rewire of the factory fuse box, followed by a really dumb move on my part, I am happy to report that I have heard my 750 midnight roar to life for the first time. Yes it still needs a multitude of things done before it's ready to ride, safety items, carbs, etc, but with an auxiliary fuel tank and battery it started up. Now onto getting it roadworthy. Also found a titled 81 frame locally I'm hoping to pick up to be able to make one complete titled runner from it and the 82 parts bike I have. Both 650's and I should have a complete harness or two plus the hard parts to make it work.

16. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Been riding almost every day this week. Thanks again for this forum~! Bought my bike for$500 and with the help of many on here have a beautiful running bike for about a grand total. Most fun I've had for the money in a long time.

Tim O, Ryengoth, Chitwood and 2 others like this.
  17. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Nice! Sounds like you've done really well. I searched Craigslist for a while before I bought my '82 Maxim for $800. Looks like I'll be into mine for around $1200 total by the time I have it completely roadworthy. Feels like I'm alright at that price too since I've continued to search Craigs and really haven't found anything under about $1500 that runs, has recent tires and brakes etc and a CLEAR TITLE! Man, I can't believe how many bikes are for sale with no title! Makes it a complete non-starter for me.

As for my project:
    I changed my front tire last night. Wasn't that bad of a job, took maybe 20 minutes. Unlike the rear, the bead broke easily when I put a clamp on the tire and it pried off easily with the tire irons. Going on wasn't a problem with either tire. I greased them up with a little Dawn dish soap and pried them on without much trouble. I suspect most of my problems with the rear tire came from the green slime that had probably been in there for decades and had more or less glued the tire to the rim.

Looking forward to making major progress this weekend and actually riding next week!

18. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Got 3 of 4 carbs back together last night. New shaft seals, plate screws and clean jets. #4 has paint curing. The middle fuel T has shrunk so soaking it for a couple days and see if it will spring back. If not, yet another part to hold up what little progress I can make right now. Meh.

19. XJ550H

replace it

20. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Budget says soak it..