1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Leaving for an all day ride in about 20 min. Local poker run, see how many harley's I can upset hahahaha

2. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Picked up the new (old) bike today, drove it home through stormy weather. It has a fairing which helped enormously, runs good too! PO was nice enough to drop off the parts bike, and I got that wrapped up until I can put it somewhere out of the weather. Hopefully the weather clears tomorrow so I can do bike stuff. =D

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

picket up another XJ today and brought her home. gonna need a little TLC . she was naked and afraid. 0147 was the last 4 digits of the vin.

XJ900RK. Sent Dave the info to place her in the registry

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Finally got to go for a real ride ,just short of 100 miles , bike ran fantastic . Only thing it was so windy as I rode south I was having to lean to the left to keep it upright and tracking straight. So headed for home riding west was fine. Bike is so quite with the stock exhaust, of course now it is going to rain.

5. XJ550H

rain suit because everyone needs to know how to ride in the rain

6. Nolanm06

Nolanm06 New Member

New here. Just got a 85 xj700. New battery, electrical connection cleaning, and started cleaning the carb.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pizzaman and Lodewijk like this.
  7. Jetfixer

I've riden in the rain more times than I care to remember. Once rode to Columbus AMA Vintage days , on way back got caught in a total down pour, rode almost 75 miles before it quit , the next 150 miles I dried out :D

8. XJ550H

^+1
    I ride rain or shine just that I do not start out in down pours my season is to short to dry weather ride.
    40 degrees is my cold limit just because below that can quickly turn to 32 or less depending which street I ride.

9. Jetfixer

Sorry to say I'm a fair weather rider 50 degrees is my limit , a couple of years ago went on a 300 mile ride was low 60's when I started out but once the sun set , going down in hollows was really cold and then fog rolled in . My teeth were chattering I had on Jean's, a Tshirt ,sweat shirt, and a windbreaker my full face helmet by the time I got home 45, i was stiff and tired realized I'm not the young guy I once was.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Franz and XJ550H like this.
  10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

In Scotland it rains a lot l just go out on the bike with the waterproof clothing on. But l will be 60 soon enough and the black ice in winter thats what bothers me.

Jetfixer and XJ550H like this.
  11. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Not to sound like _that_ guy but that doesn't sound like proper biking gear. I never ride without at least my (leather) biking jacket and gloves. My pants look like jeans but they're reinforced with kevlar.

XJ550H likes this.
  12. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Stripped the paint from the outside of my fuel tank from the XJ, treated it with anti-rust and gave it a coat of primer. Pics are in my build thread. The rear brake on my other bike was dragging. Had a look at it and the pistons aren't retracting. Looks like I'll have to clean the pistons. But, I Can't get them of the rotor because the wear formed a lip at the rims and the pistons won't clear it. I'll have to bleed the brakes to see if that works. Thank God for Google! Never worked on brakes before so I ordered some more stuff yesterday.

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

In this situation l open the bleed valve on the caliper which allows me to push the pistons back enough to clear the high edge on the periphery of the disc.

Lodewijk and Chitwood like this.
  14. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Solid advice, friend! I'll be sure to give that a try.

Franz likes this.
  15. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Fixed a tear in the seam of my seat snd went for a ride, when I got home put some air in my front forks. Had to remove the handle bars to get at the air valves PO put different ones on that get in the way, good bend though and leans me just the right amount onto the air flow. Don't know if they will hold the air but time will tell.

16. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Went for first ride since the CNYCC and that thing runs as smooth as ever! Wow! I cannot wait to ride again!

Jetfixer and Franz like this.
  17. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Got a petcock rebuild kit in the mail today so possibly tonight I will get that rebuilt and tested. Also have 4 new spark plug caps to install on the new autolite spark plugs.

Jetfixer likes this.
  18. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Idle was a bit lumpy this spring, so yesterday I tweaked mix using colortune and resynched the carbs using my homemade manometer.
    Running like a sewing machine now! Even my neighborhood bike enthusiast heard me stop at the stop sign outside his house. He commented now nice it sounded.

Gotta love these old bikes.

19. Jetfixer

Went to car show in my Beetle didn't enter car even though guy at gate said I should. Saw one cool Suzuki GS750. Came home and did some cleaning on my Seca would have liked to go for a ride ...but more rain and temp dropped big time.

20. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Went for a great ride! My wife took my daughter purse shipping for her grade 8 graduation and dragged my son along so I could enjoy my Father's Day ride. Got home and noticed my fork gaiter looked a little wet... blew a fork seal. Guess I shouldn't have put any air in the forks (6-7psi) so a seal kit is ordered. Sometimes life sucks, good weather finally for the next few days and I have to wait on parts.