1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. WileyRiley

WileyRiley New Member

Yes sir, I replaced the rubber donuts and followed Bigfitz's guide. I can't figure out why with a new valve cover gasket, new rubber donuts and the right technique why I'm still getting a little blow by. I checked the breather vent from crank case to air box to make sure that wasn't blocked. Just wanting to rule out other variables.

2. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Heat wave over here (and my wife could bring the kids to their surf camp) so took the bike to work. It instantly makes the day better, even if it is a bit of a hassle (clothes, laptop, etc.). Can't wait to do this with my XJ!

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

clothes should be worn when riding

Jetfixer and Uxbridge Brule like this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

So last weekend I was finishing up carb work , cleaned float bowl jets , big change bike starts without choke ,and just have to open a bit . Was color tuning all good till number 2 cylinder , barely any spark , unthreaded plug cap cut off end and rethread no joy, put plug back ran okay . So on my way home went to my local Yamaha/KTM dealer (drooling over the KTM) bought 4 new NGK resistor caps 16$ , this is an older dealer and the owner is very helpful . I helped him out I told him about xj4ever he saved it to his favorites , he said he has a few other xj owners looking for parts so felt good to help . Came home put new caps on , I think all 4 were original, fired up idled good , and took it out cranked it open WOW hit 70 much faster than before , and actually had to set idle down a bit . Taking a vacation day might take bike out for a real ride tomorrow.

Timbox and Franz like this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

its called a Mental health day

Lodewijk, Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  6. Jetfixer

My mental health day was great , rode just a little under 500 miles (short by 15 miles) , the new resistor caps really seemed to help , bike performed great except the fuel gauge blanking out several times (I know what it is ,the plug just did not bother to fix on side of the road.) Got a nice straight and recently repaved road with no traffic cranked it wide open ( I swear I was only doing"55" :D) stable with no shimmy . One reason I rode as far as I went was seen my daughter ,she was surprised when I walked into the bank she works at, visited my 89 year old grandma, and looked at my dad's new Slingshot, he just put the taller windshield on and the top kit ...all in all a good day, good weather just enjoyed riding .

Pizzaman, Uxbridge Brule and Chitwood like this.
  7. Deathboner727

Deathboner727 New Member

4E661EC8-DCB5-46DA-AF8E-A1DCDF37732E.jpeg Sold it. I’ll miss you Betsy

Jetfixer and Lodewijk like this.
  8. Jetfixer

Okay sooo I'm no spring chicken anymore ,after my nice 500 mile ride ( rode 15 miles today which made the 500 mile mark) I am so sore now did not feel it yesterday , but after the miserable spring and lack of riding chances , I'm making up for it:D. So last night after getting home checked over bike , pulled plugs all looked okay except for number 2 very lean , out came colortune plug , tweaked mixture screw got to ride some and see how plug looks.

9. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

It takes awhile to beat the muscles into submission

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. SecaMaverick

SecaMaverick Active Member

Not saying you didn't do it right, but it's not unusual to have the gasket slightly askew without knowing it, because it's so easy to bump things while installing (it's awfully close quarters). I've also had the same issue, and it could be something as simple as either mounting surfaces not being as clean and flat as they should be (areas with varnish/burnt oil) or poor gasket surfaces from lax quality control at the factory. You may need to just try another new gasket.

Chitwood likes this.
  11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Or the valve cover itself has warped.....Yamaha recommend that it be checked for straightness in their service procedures.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Sent the 81 Seca down the road to a new owner/home. Hope he gets many miles/yrs of fun out of her. More focus time on the XS1100!

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  13. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I managed to break off a rear signal lens today. :mad: Just accidentally hit it with my arm and it fell off. Lots of unseen cracks in it.
    Wiped the seat down with some veg oil today after it sitting for about 2 weeks after the repair and reconditioning. The veg oil pulled up even more dirt, some of the lanolin and it soaked right in so the pores are still open from the summer heat. I'll finish it up with a weekly mineral oil wipe down. It could take several weeks of application to saturate the vinyl. As it is right now if feels like worn leather and sits great, I just want to make sure the plasticizer volume is good before winter.

14. Jetfixer

I think I'm changing my name to Johnny Black Cloud, got put on a 90 day PIP at work new director and I do not see eye to eye, wrecked my beetle, my eng light on my Dakota is on O2 sensor there are 4 and of course the one it looks like the worst to do, drained my pool and replaced 2 valves due to cracked , refilled pool and now the main shut off valve cracked and I cant get it off. My wife is having some health problems on top of being on dialysis. Still waiting on insurance adjuster finally got car towed home, only victory I had to cut off the hood handle just to get hood open on beetle . But only good thing rode XJ for a couple of miles felt good and put a smile on my face .

15. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Did pretty much an "iron butt 1000." About 1000KM from Colorado springs to Kansas City. Tomorrow will be Kansas City to Tuscaloosa, AL.

16. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Man, what a trooper!

17. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

And about 1250 miles back from Tuscaloosa to Colorado Springs? Is all that on a naked 750 Seca? I hurt just thinking about it - stay safe and enjoy.

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I would think you would be buzzing just from one of those long trips. Yes be safe and enjoy!

19. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Feel for you Jetfixer I have had those days/years. Sometimes the little things like a ride can change the tide good luck.

Jetfixer likes this.
  20. swedishlinus

swedishlinus New Member

Not so mechanical. But i rode my XJ600 -85 for 75km today. Personal record in riding distance for me and my second time riding a bike! Love my XJ!

k-moe likes this.