1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Have not touched bike for few weeks short of plugging in trickle charger. Today temp hit 50 , I thought about pulling it out and going for a ride, but I have it situated just right in the garage. But I did start her up , fired right up after a couple of minutes shut off choke ,idled so smooth ...since this first day of winter,counting days down till spring .

Rusty81 and Franz like this.
  2. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Clutch pack is in, new oil filter and oil. Going to re-tune tomorrow and try to get some video of the colortune and gauges again.

Got this in today. Another video series subject for the YT channel. 82 Seca Turbo seat with bars. Going to attempt salvage and refinish. Cover is pliable so I think it'll be a good one. Will probably end up for sale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Franz

Franz Active Member

The cover on my ignition switch got damaged in an accident a while back so I stripped the unit today and repaired it with the ignition switch guide on the XJ forum. Eased the plate the key goes through off the switch by bending the folds back and used a bolt head to chap the damaged cap flat from the inside. Assembled it and tested it with a multimeter, great guide that was for explaining how to do this job especially keeping those metal lock wafers in the correct order.

Jetfixer and chacal like this.
  4. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

First cover repairs are almost done on the 82 Seca Turbo seat. Rear panel rip has been sewn together and leather patch glued on to hold the loose side pad. Will be filling the gap soon and making a full leather backing panel for the main section of the cover. It will be glued and sewn in for extra support.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  5. d_mayes_91

d_mayes_91 New Member

5F3391AF-210A-4DAA-B066-9A61400733E0.jpeg image.jpg So I just bought my first bike this morning. 81 xj650 bobber. It was complete this morning. Wiring is hacked, so I’m prepping to build a new harness.

Chitwood and Ryengoth like this.
  6. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

7. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

One thing that always bugged me was the rust in this area that I didn't have a good way to refinish:
    upload_2020-1-7_16-32-19.png

So I got so I got some reasonably beefy and sticky carbon fiber pattern vinyl and tried this:
    upload_2020-1-7_16-34-54.png

I was on the fence, but think maybe I'll keep it?

Jetfixer, Franz and chacal like this.
  8. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

looks good. another option is plasti-dip spray. change the color if you like when you feel like it.

Tim O likes this.
  9. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Member

Looks nice. I wouldn't like to cover rust though because it could keep rusting. Maybe try a rust remover or use the Lime-A-Way method and then hit the area with clear Rust-Oleum before covering it.

Tim O likes this.
  10. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Krud Kutter: The Must For Rust on a papertowl. Rubber band it on and keep spritzing it. It'll eat the rust away and leave a phosphate layer behind you can cover.

Tim O likes this.
  11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

aluminim foil and water will remove the rust then a little wax to seal it or plate it with a plating kit

Tim O, Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  12. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

I have used JB Weld to cover pit's where the fork seals wipe with good luck.

Tim O likes this.
  13. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

All good suggestions!! Thanks

14. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

No one mentioned just replacing the tubes, but I suspect you'd prefer a less costly option.

Tim O likes this.
  15. Matt Rolls

Matt Rolls New Member

Well, today I received back from the painter my new panels for my XJ900. I had bought a spare set, tank, sidepanels, belly pan on eBay that were rust free and undented (unlike the ones on my bike, which were dented and rusty) and the front mudguard from a Yamaha R1 (2003). I cant quite believe how stupid I am.

The. Tank. Is. Not. An. XJ900. Tank.

Yes, you read that correctly. I was stupid enough to buy an XJ900 tank on eBay and not trial it on my XJ900 before sending it for blasting, sealing, painting etc. I believe it is an XJ600 tank (which is 18 litres not 22, not that I care about capacity) and it is about an inch shorter than the XJ900 tank, and the mountings for the XJ900 fairings are in slightly different places, and the front mount cups are 5mm narrower and there's form on the underside of the tank that fouls the XJ900 frame.

So, after admitting to being a class-1 idiot, I humbly beg you all to tell me just how good the paint job is so I can muster the energy to modify the XJ900's frame to fit this tank...

FIRST IMAGE: Project 20% done, running and riding, mockup. Dent in tank as seen here.
    IMG_4770.JPG 76672FFB-B63E-4592-AB19-472725916B8D.JPG 46F8D431-00E1-4397-B7F5-652D4929C214.JPG 7BF3834D-AE4C-4863-AF7C-C35D1F9C2FA9.JPG

NB - if anyone is interested the details are being finalised and this is very much still a mockup. I had an XJ900 saddle re-skinned, and I designed and manufactured my own conversion to Yamaha's 2003 R1 front forks - This included a custom steerer stem, and boring out the wheel's bearing seats on my lathe to accommodate the R1's 20mm axle. The PCD of the R1 brake rotors is the same as the XJ900 and they were a direct swap, although the calipers needed spacing inboard by 10mm either side. The astute among you might ask what's happened to the speedo drive given a 20mm axle will not go through it, and you'd be correct. My speedometer is a Daytona Velona Dark digital thing, and it picks up speed signal from a sensor inside the swing arm's driveshaft housing. 4 signals = one rev of driveshaft, # many revs of driveshaft = 1 rotation of rear wheel. It worked mathematically but I calibrated it using a very accurate GPS Speedo anyway. The exhaust system, I designed myself and had the parts mandrel bent from 30mm 316 grade stainless steel, machining new end-fittings on my lathe. I made titanium head studs and titanium fixings just because I wanted to practice cutting Ti on the lathe. The silencer cans are 316 grade stainless GP-style cans (LOUD) that have been glassbead blasted for a soft matte finish. The carburettors have been stripped, taken to the CHURCH OF CLEAN and fully rebuilt using OEM parts and dynojetted with DJ#28 jets, and assorted other items to make them flow through K&N Pod Filters and out into slightly larger bore exhausts. The carbs were tuned and set up by myself and the dynojet team on a rolling road dyno, they suffer none of the usual driveability issues/failures that people whacking in off-the-shelf dynojet kits and pods experience. The rear light (although not pictured) is from a 2018 Ducati Scrambler with blade type LED indicators. The clip-on bars are Gilles Tooling, suited for R1 forks, with Domino adjustable quick-action throttle and Oberon CNC wingmirrors. Igniton system on the bike is keyless, with RFID tags sewn into my gloves that activate it.

I may have a degree in motorcycle engineering, and a love for tinkering, but I am still firmly a massive idiot.

Franz and Ryengoth like this.
  16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^^^ Love the looks of that bike. I don't know if I could do those bars that far down for any length of time but the looks is really cool! Yes paint looks spot on, too bad we all over look some things from time to time.

17. McTavish

McTavish Member

yesterday bike didn't run as smooth as usual, seemed like one cylinder was "off". It was due for plugs and oil change
    pulling the plugs, #2 rich, why just #2
    bike is colortuned and vac/run synced
    answer- whilst running with new plugs I noticed fuel flowing though my clear vacuum line, petcock to #2.
    apparently, my petcock rebuild is a failure.
    IMG_0210.JPG

18. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Could be diaphram leaking and not letting enough air in?

19. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Gah I missed the vac line statement. lol

20. Matt Rolls

Matt Rolls New Member

It's quite an interesting geometry to play with - the XJ900 is a surprisingly long and low bike when you fiddle with the front suspension. I am a bit of a masochist and last year I did ride it 1000 miles in a long weekend up to scotland and round and back down - in the condition shown in the first photo in white. It was not what I'd call comfortable like my Triumph Tiger 1200 is for that kind of mileage but it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be - I did have my bags packed in a friend's panniers though. With a bag on my back it would probably have done my wrists in.

Timbox and Jetfixer like this.