1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I looked at a 650 sidecover and it is a jig saw puzel the way it was made with interlocking tabd to snap the parts together

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Ok, I forgot about the bottle of argon - I see it as a consumable, but yes it would be a significant amount.
    Do an ebay search for dc tig - if you want to mig ally you will need a 180 plus amp mig to make it work. And it won't weld "thin" sheet.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Do you have a photo of it? Be interesting to see it.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

i will get one. you can see the dovetail 650a.jpg Inked650c_LI.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I see it on the panel that's good. I used to do a lot of them in wood, a long time ago. Very strong joint.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I got one basically done today..... just gotta get the correct battery to install, then the cover goes on, and all done. For now...... I can do minor upgrades as time and $ permit—-

it’s one of my little cousins..... the Baby J. Hey, maybe that it’s new name :)

i bought this a number of years back, I think 6, and it had to go into my shop to live for awhile. First startup today:). I just took it for a 6 mi ride.

introducing a 1982 XS400RJ Seca
    988A9BFA-4611-4592-8954-4555B6338CFA.jpeg

kosel and Jetfixer like this.
  7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nice bike you got there.

hogfiddles likes this.
  8. Rusty81

Rusty81 Member

Nice Baby J!

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Thank you!

10. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Over the past couple of day, I've been installing SS braided lines on the FZR1000. I think one of the front lines is wrong, so waiting to hear back on that. Man, what a pain bleeding the rear brake! I also serviced the EXUP valve (this is a servo-controlled valve in the exhaust to vary back pressure with RPM so you can have really high flow with high revs, but enough back pressure in low and mid revs to keep it drivable). That came apart pretty simply and I lubed with copper never-seize. So, still need to sort out that front line, change the clutch line and bleed them all. Oh, and my bike came with tires from '98 and '99, so yea, getting new tires, hopefully this week.

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

I did. None of the cheap ones included the hoses.

The gas in the bottle is a consumable, but you need to buy the bottle, too. I stand by my original statment: you can weld steel with a flux core box for $200 to $300. Doing stainless is more expensive. And doing aluminum is more expensive still.

Incidentally, I've done pretty well on aluminum with my Miller 175 and a spool gun. The 175 is rated 130 amps. Among other things, I used it to repair a cracked crankcase on my Virago 750.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  12. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

My local welding supply shop (General Air Services, here in Colorado Springs) does welding classes. They're very reasonably priced. I suspect that most welding supply places offer such courses. We actually did one sort-of as a team building event with some guys from work. I wanted to get some instruction in torch welding, but, by getting three of my co-workers to also take the class, we got a private class of four hours or so, with all equipment and supplies provided, and got the torch practice, as well as torch cutting, plasma cutting, and some MIG work. IIRC, it was $50 or so per person.

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That is good value at 50 dollars. I am a Carpenter by trade (although it has been a long time since I worked at that). I am looking at doing a course and getting information of what kind of machine to buy as in most cases that choice will depend on the type of welding I would like to do. I got interested in it what I watched Pete Williams making and Aluminium fuel tank on You Tube. I don't have the metal shaping skills either but I would love to get an alloy tank made for my 900 but it would be expensive.

14. dkavanagh

I've been watching a lot of fab videos, lots to do with welding. I took a MIG class years ago, but now I want to get into TIG. I know it costs more, but figure I'll save up and this is the setup I can start with https://ahpwelds.com/product/ahp-al...-sold-out-now-accepting-pre-orders-early-july I'll need the safety gear, gas cylinder and consumables, but with practice, I think I can handle doing TIG. I have in mind doing Aluminum and this process can do it all (I know, special considerations for some metals like titanium). The AC helps w/ aluminum since it cuts through the oxidation layer.

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

So it welds a small puddle at at time and the process would not work if it could oxydize (not spelled right) . So the flux or the gas used in MIG for example keeps the atmosphere away from the weld is that right? I read too that with TIG you use a pedal also (cannot remember what it is for voltage perhaps). That machine you are after I see the pedal with it. Is there no pedal with the MIG welder I assume because the welding amps are set with a dial switch.

16. dkavanagh

We should probably start a welding thread! :)

I can point you at some TIG videos, but yes, pedal sets current. You set max current for your job on the control panel, and then the pedal goes from zero to that setting. Yes, the shield gas protects the weld from oxidation. You can set flow rate, and pre-flow and post-flow (the amount of time before the arc and after the arc that the gas flows, so you have good protection when the weld is hot).

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Which TIG videos are you watching? New thread title what did you do with your welding machine today :D

18. Lance75082max

Lance75082max New Member

Adding exhaust wrap on my newly painted black exhaust, and adding new fog lights gonna be a whole new bike when I'm threw and threw with this bad B

19. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Washed it.

Verified that the oil cooler adapter plate and related hardware are not leaking with that new O-ring in place (currently, at least... will need to see how things look after a shakedown ride).

Drilled a hole through the MAC baffle and muffler so water doesn't pool there. Added some high-temp silicone to keep the water from running inside the muffler through the gap between muffler and baffle where the new drain hole goes through.

20. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

MIG is easier to learn, since you basically have a pistol handle and a trigger. For TIG you have the pedal, but you are also holding the torch with one hand and feeding filler material with the other... so a bit more coordination is involved. On the other hand, TIG allows much finer control, so you can weld thinner materials, and create smoother, more seamless, welds, in any material. The other big advantage of TIG is that you basically just use argon for shielding gas. With MIG you need a different shielding gas mixture for each metal. Bottles are expensive, and shielding gases are expensive, so, if you're doing a variety of small jobs, a decent TIG setup can actually be cheaper.

TIG also seems to be easier for doing special alloys. Not sure if anyone uses MIG for things like magnesium or titanium.