1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

Tested the ignition coils secondary resistance and got no readings, but primary were in spec. Still getting spark but am confused if they need replaced.

going to do some research tonight!

2. Nettleship

Nettleship New Member

Thanks, I’m over the moon, such a good find! I’ve had a look through Yambits, looks like they’ve got some decent stuff! Back shocks are chrome replacements.. I picked up a set of Marzocchi shocks today with my other freebies!

That’s an interesting contraption, as long as it works!

3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

You clamp it in the vice, put your shock in, pull the lever and take the top collar out - 30 seconds. It's adjustable and self locking, can't go wrong.

Nettleship likes this.
  4. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

Got the frame back from blasting and powder coat today. Looked good. I was a little worried about some rust on the lower crossbar but it came out nice. Now I need to get busy doing the other work to get it back together and functional again. 4BBAFD45-7CB4-42A4-BAB9-61F9A701D688.jpeg B969B2E4-9F87-490E-997B-9778DACCBD71.jpeg 4BBAFD45-7CB4-42A4-BAB9-61F9A701D688.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. Rusty81

Rusty81 Member

I had the same thing on one of my coils. When I took it off, it had cracks underneath. Guessing it let moisture into the windings. It ran and had spark too, but really crappy ones. Got another set (used) and the resistance is spec and the spark is much better. I’d suggest at least one coil.

NikoRx likes this.
  6. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Pulled the tank to see what I could find with the horns not working. The ground to the frame by the coils seemed good. The horn was cooperating, in that it was still not working after I'd pulled the tank. Jumpering ground from block to the ground point, or block to the black wire in the loom, made no difference. The horns did start working when I probed the pink wire near the modular plug near the coils. So I pulled the three modular plugs apart, brushed the contacts with a wire brush, tried to clean out the other side contacts with a Dremel bit, and added some dielectric grease. The horn is working again... hopefully that will help the oil sensor too... Guess I'll need to go on another long ride to see for sure.

Also checked the intermittent battery warning. That turned out to be that the sensor had broken, again. Soldered the wire back (it got eaten away right at the top of the sensor a while back), and we'll see if it holds up better this time.

7. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

If there's just a small break in the secondary winding, I could see it arcing across that break, just like it arcs across the plug gaps. I would definitely replace them, though.

NikoRx likes this.
  8. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

I got my bike back from the shop. They got my broken bolts out of the intake manifold!!!

I want to install my new boots, get the carbs on, replace the fuel lines and get it running!!

Any recommendations on replacement bolts for the carb boots? Should I use cap head again?

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

yes, stainless steel with anti-seize, don't over tighten them

Danath256 likes this.
  10. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

81-83 HONDA CB750 coils swap right in and have replaceable wires and can still be bought new Cycle Recycle part 2 sells these 40$ each been running these for 3 years with no problems

Rusty81 likes this.
  11. SeanM706

SeanM706 New Member

I did a valve check a few days ago. Only 2 out of spec. Took care of those. Also replaced the rear brake shoes and replaced a broken exhaust header stud, replacing all of the hardware and gaskets. Today I replaced the clutch perch and master cylinder to the flat bar versions from XJ4EVER and replaced the tach and speedo cables which very much improved the tightness of both gauges. A little while back I tried my hand at HVLP painting my tank. Looks pretty crummy so one of the next things I might do is take it to a local paint shop and have a nice, simple gloss black sprayed on. Thing is, I don't want the paint to look too nice or else I'll have to take care of the rest.

Jetfixer likes this.
  12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I took my cylinder head to the engineers today (as Chacal advised). They are going to repair the head where the two studs at the front of the cam tunnel secure the head to the cylinders.

13. Rusty81

Rusty81 Member

Replaced my gas cap and removed the old lock cylinder to put in the new cap. Didn’t want an extra key. Everything works like a charm and thanks to XJ4Ever for the great tutorial!

http://www.xj4ever.com/gas cap.pdf

SeanM706 and Franz like this.
  14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you only see the tank and cluster back of headlight when you ride, those are he only places that need to shine

SeanM706 likes this.
  15. SeanM706

SeanM706 New Member

I can dig that. Fortunately the cluster looks great. The top of the tank, well...

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I got a tank cover made for my bike. Bagster manufacture them. Might be an option for you?

17. SeanM706

SeanM706 New Member

Looks like they might be tough to find in the US. Do you have a picture of your bike with it on?

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I need to check tomorrow and if see l can find a photo of it. At the moment the bike is stripped down.

SeanM706 likes this.
  19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Could only find this photograph before it was finished but the cover cost little to make and was made out of an old jacket. Gives you a rough idea what it is like. If your wife has a sewing machine or you know someone perhaps you can get one made. And the seam above the Yamaha badge was the original one which is the same on the other side. Basically the jacket was centred on the tank and that reduced the number of joints required. You can also cut out cardboard templates of the sections of the tank transfer them to the material and work that way.

Tank Cover Unfinished.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    SeanM706 likes this.
  20. SeanM706

SeanM706 New Member

That's interesting. Thanks for the suggestion and finding a picture!

Franz likes this.