1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I don't use it all the time but it is good if I want to put a tank bag on if I am going on a long run to protect the paintwork.

SeanM706 likes this.
  2. Nettleship

Nettleship New Member

Order a set of carbs, starter motor and relay.. Hopefully I can see if this engine works!

3. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

Took possession of this last night and took it out for a shake down ride today and it was great. Did about 50 miles actually. Needs a bit but not much. Will do greats as a rideable parts/testing bike as I rebuild the 81 midnight. Seat has to go though... 91AE8315-3A3C-4901-BB77-4EEFBA0F423B.jpeg

4. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Rode the Seca 30 miles yesterday. That thing just works and is a joy to ride! My helmet on the other hand... I'm a long oval and didn't realize that and that when I got my helmet 4 years ago. Been a problem before but the achy forehead has to stop. Need a new lid. Long oval choices are limited. Thinking of this LS2 model: https://www.amazon.com/LS2-Helmets-Unisex-Adult-Helmet-X-Small/dp/B07GJZBSXM?th=1

5. dkavanagh

Love the smell of new rubber in the morning!
    IMG_20200609_125034749.jpg
    Dunlop RoadSport 2 for the big bike.

6. Joe White

Joe White Member

Finally install the carbs, along with a new throttle cable (was frayed at the throttle) new clutch cable, new clutch/mirror bracket. All from Len, on time and as advertised.

Question - Something is not correct on my carb install. I’m 100% certain that the boots from the carbs to the cylinder intake are fully seated and they’re tightened down. The boots coming off the Airbox to the carbs are fully seated at the Airbox and the tabs are straight up and in between the markers on the Airbox. The boot seating ON the carbs (coming from the Airbox) is not the greatest. I think it’ll probably work, but I know it’s not correct. Here’s the thing, I had to remove the bolt that bolts the Airbox to the frame, in order to shove the Airbox waaaay forward. So all of the boots are on, but I can’t bolt the Airbox to the frame now. If I pull the Airbox back far enough to bolt it to the frame, it will definitely pull the rear boots off of the carbs. It’s an 82 XJ650. Hitachi 32 carbs. I’ve replaced the air filter, the air chute and the cover for the airbox with parts for an 82XJ650. They all fit perfectly.

I guess my question is, can the boots on the carbs shrink so much that they become too short?

Attached Files:

SeanM706 likes this.
  7. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Unfortunately, yes. A new boot will have these deimsions:

short side length 54.4mm
    long side length: 68.4mm

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nice bike you got Joe.

9. Joe White

Joe White Member

Thx for the quick replies. Thx Franz, she’s a work in progress. She was in sad, sad shape when I pushed her home in Feb.

Guess I’ll be ordering some more parts.

10. SeanM706

SeanM706 New Member

She is REAL pretty!

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yes, they can and do shrink. Try warming them good with a hot air gun. While they’re soft, you may be able to pull the box back enough to get the bolts in

12. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

I have watched some videos on bringing old rubber back to life and it looks that soaking in a oil of wintergreen solution will restore the suppleness and cause the item to swell a bit but then goes back down after some time. So maybe a good cleaning and few days soak then put them back on swollen and they will shrink back to size in place. One test I have wanted to do is coat the part in Icy Hot, or other sore muscle balm, Oil of Wintergreen (Methyl salicylate) is a main component of most of those, to see if that would de-fossilize rubber. Try it on a trash part first of course :)

13. Joe White

Joe White Member

I actually did that. I’m also on a V4 site, one of the V4 carb gurus swears by this technique. He uses one part oil of wintergreen and 3 parts alcohol. He says the alcohol opens up the rubber and the oil of wintergreen then infuses into the rubber. I’ve used it on lots of different rubber parts with noticeable success. It’ll leave the rubber parts smelling minty for weeks and months. You have to keep mixing the solution because the oil and the alcohol want to separate. A closed container and shaking is best, but just stirring does work. And DON’T GET THAT OIL IN YOUR EYES. It burns like nobody’s business and it is super persistent. It’s very pure oil, so it doesn’t just rinse off easily.

In this case, it didn’t have a huge effect. My boots were badly misshaped from years of being improperly seated. I also suspect that they endured years of gasoline leaking on to them. The wintergreen trick does work, but there’s a limit to how much it can rehabilitate old rubber. I think my boots have reached their limit.

14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yes it works but it only stays soft for a short time

15. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I reshaped the boots on my vmax by taking them all off, heating them individually and clamping them on a carb one at a time. It removed the "belling" where they sat on the carbs.

XJ550H likes this.
  16. Joe White

Joe White Member

I’d say based on chacal’s info, I’m just waaaaaay outta spec. Time for new boots.

Attached Files:

17. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

So today Friday is my unpaid day off , fantastic weather no wind and sunny in the 70s . While my wife was in dialysis, took off for a "little" ride , the longest so far this year. Rode 336 miles stopped at parents house and back , bike was almost flawless ( starter clutch slips when hot eventually catches) . Figured out I'm not as young as I used to be, I once rode 600 miles in one day left at daybreak and got home at 4 am on my 84 Kawasaki 550 LTD F1 shaft drive , slept 5hrs and went to work ( got to love night shift) . To tired to clean bugs off bike get with that tomorrow. Cheers

Franz and jaxcob93 like this.
  18. Wayne Stuart-Cole

Wayne Stuart-Cole Member

Today I removed the center stand, battered it with a wire wheel on the angle grinder, painted it with Krust, primer then 3 coats of paint, cleaned up the bolts and spring.
    Also got a new battery so going to start her up tomorrow.

Franz likes this.
  19. dkavanagh

Technically, it's not something for the Yamaha, but something I use with the Yamaha(s). New lid... light, fits properly fitting it w/ a coms system (to talk to my phone for nav, etc).
    IMG_20200615_185157.jpg

20. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Engine strip going well. Found out that oil spray nozzle is not damaged.