1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Was beautiful yesterday and my son had the day off to go for his first ride of the season. We put in about 75 miles here in NY with a trip from Rochester area to the north end on Conesus Lake at Vitale Park, to the north end of Hemlock Lake to the north end of Honeoye Lake at Sandy Bottoms Park. Great first trip for him and a good way to point out some good fishing spots.
    What did I do to my bike? Cleaned the windshield before the trip.

2. Huntchuks

OK, this is a bit irksome. Changed the valve cover gasket and the donut washers today. When removing the gas line from the tank for removal, gas just poured out of the petcock, which was on reserve from yesterdays ride. All three positions acted like prime. Next step is to pull and disassemble the petcock and see why my rebuild from last December is now failing.

3. Steve Otto

Steve Otto New Member

When you rebuilt it, did you check all the clearances on the rubber parts and pressure check it? I did the same rebuild last winter (with oem parts) and had to shave some material off my petcock body where the selector valve sits. Even with the retainer installed over it (the ring with Res, On, Pri), it didn’t put enough pressure on the selector gasket inside so fuel went straight through regardless of the setting or vacuum.
    *****Double check your oil too! When mine originally went out, it dumped about a gallon of fuel into the crankcase since there’s no overflow in the carbs. ******

4. Huntchuks

The petcock worked perfectly when tested and during the last bit of riding last year. After sitting for the winter it decided to malfunction. I'll take it off the tank today.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  5. Steve Otto

Steve Otto New Member

Oh ok, I hope it's something small and doesn't ground you too long. Good luck!

6. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Today I finished up rebuilding my Master Cylinder with a rebuild kit from Len. I put the body of the MC through my new ultrasonic cleaner but found 4/1 ratio of water to Simple Green to be a little bit too weak to get all the crud off the inside.
    Made my own cylinder hone out of a stick and got the bore polished up real nice with some 1200 grit. Super happy to be done with something, no matter how small :)

Timbox likes this.
  7. Huntchuks

Got it back together. Must be I didn't test it upon reassembly last December. The wavy washer was below the selector instead of above, which prevented the selector plate from making contact with the valve body seal, allowing gas to always flow. Good thing my float needles work, no gas in the oil from the long winter.

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder, tj. and Franz like this.
  8. Steve Otto

Steve Otto New Member

That’s great news, so glad it didn’t flood the motor like mine!

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I printed this wheel balancer a few months ago, and finally had the time and space to put it to use.

[​IMG]

File here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4546098

She works great. I need to reprint the cones because I eneded up drilling them out to fit the threaded rod that I used (10 mm was not avaliable locally so I used 7/8"), but they worked fine for this trial.

I put this tire on myself just before my long-lamented trip to Oregon and never did get as well balanced as I wanted, but good enough for a trip that I knew I was going to wear out the front tire on. Since I've been exploring my new digs I figured that the teeny-tiny bounce the rotating mass gives at freeway speeds was worth getting rid of.

Next step is to get my lathe set up....eventually..., cut the rod down, and remove the excess threading to make putting the wheel on the cones less of a chore.

I really would get more done if I had fewer hobbies, but then I'd be paying other people to have fun for me.

Yammaat, Franz and tj. like this.
  10. tj.

tj. Active Member

Just need a bullseye level on one of those pieces of wood and you're golden...nice!

k-moe likes this.
  11. k-moe

I checked for level during the setup. I checked for squareness too. :)

12. StarGeneral

Managed to extract a non damaged set of wavy washers from my bent original forks

Attached Files:

k-moe likes this.
  13. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Took my vmax out for a spin, pure madness. Took my xj 650 single seat maxim out for a spin, pure pleasure. It really is a sweet ride. If I have any reservations I guess it comes from the extended forks and large front wheel, making it a tad slow to respond? It's a slightly modified maxim, so maybe now' she the time to think about going further, with seca forks, smaller front wheel? Is it worth the bother - I'd like to keep front and back the same pattern though..

k-moe likes this.
  14. StarGeneral

Gave my brake calipers a scrub and a wire brushing after being in the ultrasonic yesterday. Getting ready to paint and rebuild them. Considering leaving then unfinished though...

Attached Files:

15. newguywith1000questions

newguywith1000questions New Member

I'm buying my first bike and XJ650 tomorrow. I have a ton of questions but I'm glad to apart of the community!

16. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

The sun was shining so the bike could dry...
    Too cold to ride today with 5 C. and chilly winds.

17. k-moe

I took her out for a post-wheel balance shakedown (the washers for the oil leak are tomorrow's project).
    I did not use the freeway, but did giver her a good goose on a not-too-busy road and had no wiggle from the front at all, so I'm feeling pretty good about the front being in balance.
    One other thing that I did last week was to bump up the anti-dive a bit. I've been happy with it set to postition #1 for many years, but now that I'm riding almost exclusively in an urban area I've not been so happy with the amount of dive she has when braking. I bumped it up to 3# and am very pleased. My rapid-stops are much smoother and controlable. Hopefully I'll continue to lose weight and need to back it off again.

As for the reaminder of the very-long weekend (I have 10 days off from work)......It's time to explore the countryside around here.

Franz and StarGeneral like this.
  18. k-moe

5 C isn't too cold to ride. Even with 48 kph winds I'd ride in that. Now when it gets down closer to 2 C I'm in total agreement.
    But then, my people came from a very cold part of the world.

ksigurdsen and XJ550H like this.
  19. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

first day of spring went for a ride 5C when I started 9C when I was done thats 41F up to 48 f because riding season is to short to worry about cold.
    still plenty of snow on the side of the road and lots of sand on the road to keep me alert.

Yammaat and k-moe like this.
  20. ksigurdsen

ksigurdsen Member

I'm in the process of a cross town move. The XJ750K has been trapped behind boxes for weeks since the garage is serving as temporary storage. I moved all of the boxes out of the way and got a much needed ride. It felt so good to relieve a little moving stress with every twist of the throttle.

Yammaat, XJ550H, k-moe and 1 other person like this.