1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Oh joy got my yellow seca starter clutch issue fixed and my turn signals flasher quit , I had a spare flasher left worked fine right only lit up . Pulled cover and cleaned with contact cleaner no help . By chance I had a two post Wagner turn signal flasher , plugged it in and it WORKS of course the self cancelling feature does not work , but until I get another flasher it works.

2. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Spoke too soon. Cranked the bike to tune the carbs today, and the bike was idling high, and would die when I applied throttle. Thinking the fuel level is incorrect in the bowls. So I'm going to pull the carbs and check that. I am also going to recheck the jets to make sure they are clean just for a sanity check. Spark plugs are new and were barely dirty. I did notice something I'd never paid attention to before. The gas from my source tank was clear to yellow color. When I drained the fuel bowls the gas was almost orange. Does that happen when air mixes with it? Or is there something else going on?

Attached Files:

3. Jetfixer

The fuel we use today , if it is ethonol in it after a few days in the tank will turn orange , and sitting in carbs for a few weeks can turn to gum in jets . If the bike sits for awhile stabil added to the tank helps.

4. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Good to know. I've got a place an hour away that has ethanol free. The plan will be to primarily use that gas once the bike is running like a top.

5. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Really? Not here in the UK. months maybe, but a few days? No way. And to turn to gum in the bowls needs the fuel to evaporate, so unless you have a leak it should be fine for a couple of months at least.

6. Jetfixer

Here in the corn belt We use 10 to 15% Ethonal in our fuel ...unless you pay extra and can find ethonol free fuel . Let this crap sit without stabil in it and it will gum up jets very quick , it also does wonders for rubber ...my fuel line on one of my lawn mower litterly dissolved , got replacement that said ethonol compatible...

7. Minimutly

E10 in the uk, soon to be E20 apparently, which I didn't think possible - they must be adding something else.
    It does affect some older fuel hoses, and doesn't keep as long, but months not weeks. Maybe RH has something to do with it?

8. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    A good XJ Day today. I finished installing the fuel cut off solenoid, wired & plumbed and works! Attached the auxiliary fuel, the fuel over flow from the pressure regulator and fired up the Turbo. Warmed it up and got out the Colortune ( thank you @CrazyGnat!!) to see 4 perfect pretty blue sparks. On to Sync'ing the carbs. They were not as perfect as the mixture screws but pretty good. Much better now though. Tomorrow the new brake lines should arrive and shortly there after comes the test ride! Getting there.

9. Jetfixer

Spent last three days fooling with the carbs on my yellow seca made the mistake along the way. I had my spare set of carbs on and off three times could not figure out why it would idle down and die. I had the return spring off the stop arm , it would idle okay and synch was even but ran terrible . Made the mistake I swapped three of the diaphragms with my other set of carbs. So put on orginal carbs again synch is very close ...but runs terrible...so going to swap slides back in it is only common item. And now my neutral light stays on:mad: will have to check the neutral switch wire if I can get to it.

10. Jetfixer

Doing happy dance swapped slides back in , hooked up my Morgan synch and it is as close as I will ever get it took it out ran good . Now just have to figure out why neutral light stays on , and hook back up airbox boots.

Uxbridge Brule and k-moe like this.
  11. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Nothing.......:(

It's been far too rainy, and I'm not going to suit-up for my 8 minute commute to work.
    I hope that the weekend is dry enough, and cool enough, for a day of riding.

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

14. Minimutly

It's running good? What, without the airbox boots? Wash your mouth out young man - do you realise what you're saying?

15. Jetfixer

All back together airbox boots hooked up runs great starts without using the choke .

Franz and Uxbridge Brule like this.
  16. Minimutly

I think you missed my point?

17. Jetfixer

No PODS period.

18. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Another good Turbo day. The brake lines arrived this morning and with some fussing are on and bled. I even managed to get my first 3 Turbo miles in! To the turn around on the end of my dead end and back a couple of times. Reassembled, tupper ware on and waiting for tomorrow for further testing. All seems well and everything works as it should.

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  19. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

right on
    By mile 4 you should roll on the boost
    What boost pressure are you expecting ? Do you have the Yamaha power up kit installed or a boost controller?

20. Minimutly

I never mentioned PODS..
    But since this went down like the usual lead balloon, I will explain.
    You wrote that you had carried out the usual setting up, took it for a ride and it rode as well as it could/should. Then you were going to hook up the boots to the airbox....
    did I misread that?