1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Thought of that and don't see where any are missing but it might be difficult to tell.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Perhaps the incident at the railroad tracks and your present wobble on the handlebars are not related. Fork seals perhaps?

You have probably seen this thread.

https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/xj700-x-forks-question.61926/

3. short_circutz

short_circutz Active Member

Getting "Catty" ready for the road, replaced the cracked front tire with a new Dunlop D404F.
    I liked the way my old CB900C handled with a set of D404 on it.
    Now I only need to replace the safety switch on the clutch perch, and take it on to get the safety inspection signed off.

Attached Files:

4. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Still working out the hanging idle. It occurred recently while doing a running sync and I suspect there's a vacuum leak. The #2 carb also doesn't clunk, its more a slow drop, so its possible it's hanging and causing the idle problem. So I'll start from scratch and take a each carb apart to make sure they're still clean then slowly walk through the system to see what I missed. Eventually I'll figure it out. I seem to do things at least three times before I identify the problem. Which is how I figured out I'd flipped part of the rear brake hardware over when it wouldn't adjust correctly.

I've already replaced the intake boots and valve shims are within spec. I never replaced the original caps from the old intake boots, and I put an inline fuel filter on after cleaning the tank before the sync. Not sure how clamped down the caps need to be on the intake boots or if they are leaking. So I'll check those and sync without the fuel filter on and check the plugs. I've slowly cataloged most of the hanging idle threads in the forums so I'll go through and eliminate everything I can. The main thing working in my favor is that I'm cheap and I refuse to pay $150/hr to my local moto mechanic to get him to figure it out for me when its mostly just going back through the details.

5. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

Quite the unique front end jack you've got there. Necessity is the mother of invention.

short_circutz likes this.
  6. William Thompson

William Thompson Active Member

The definitely lose some air each time you measure. Are they losing the same amount each time?

7. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Broke down the front brake system on my '81 XJ750 Seca. About to update my thread with some pics and such while I chill out in the A/C. Also, will be searching the threads for stuck-piston advice. And (will also check Haynes) is there a reason to take out the pin and separate the caliper itself from the mount? The pins don'w want to budge, thought he parts float along the pin well.

Also, has anyone re-painted their calipers? I'm not a paint guy. Is there an 'easy' way?

Attached Files:

8. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Spent the day not feeling well and 90 degrees out felt like 100 . This evening I had a tight valve the last time I checked number four intake . I needed a 260 shim and finally got them . Before I tore into it checked compression lowest 130 psi highest 140psi so that was good . Got it swapped little loose on the high end a 265 probably is closer but will live with it for now .

9. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Made use of a crusty old brake lever/master cylinder (which I had to clean up, first)
    from a YZ80 to unstick my pistons. Also got the calipers off the mounts with liberal use of penetrating oil and a correct sized center punch. Even got my wife to swing The hammer, and she didn't take advantage of the situation and bash PXL_20220807_150128656.MP.jpg by thumb. The original issue rubber boots did not give up easily.

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  10. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Lots of red and a little bit of black primer today!
    16F405F5-56BC-4202-8EDE-7651A1AC2B67.jpeg

11. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Re-bench synced my carbs and than have stared at them on the workbench all week...just need more hours in the week.

Oblivion likes this.
  12. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

I 3D printed a few blanking things, and my Carbtune Pro kit arrived today.

Attached Files:

13. CowboyBiker

CowboyBiker New Member

Today I went to start my 82 Maxim 750 and found out my carb floats are probably stuck, so I pulled the carbs off, and ordered some new oil and filters. Never a dull moment! :D

14. CowboyBiker

CowboyBiker New Member

That is some beautiful work sir!

15. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    @Huntchuks , my bet would be the steering head bearings 1st, a wheel bearing 2nd, forks knocked a bit out of line 3rd.

16. Huntchuks

Yep, I thought about all three.
    The steering head bearing seems smooth, unworn, not loose, with no bad spots in movement.
    I swapped front wheels between the X and non-X with no difference.
    The front forks were aligned but I loosened everything and realigned when I swapped wheels, no difference.
    I am stumped.

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Do you have any other shock absorbers you can try ?

18. Huntchuks

Hey Franz, unfortunately no. For the X, probably hard to come by around here too. Not sure if the non-X shocks are compatible for testing.

19. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

@Huntchuks - I think I have a pair of X shocks sitting in the garage. I can't tell you if they are any good or not, but I have some.

20. Huntchuks

You are the one person I thought might have a set. Let me know. I'll check if non-X shocks are compatible and if so do a swap to see it that is the issue. If my left shock is leaking I would need to do something about it anyway, unfortunately.