1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What engines are compatible with '85 XJ 700 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by vanillaice, Sep 9, 2010.

1. vanillaice

vanillaice Member

I have inherited an '85 XJ 700 Maxim (not Maxim X, just standard, USA Maxim). It is in great condition and a beautiful bike and I would love to keep it.

The problem is that the engine seems to be frozen from being run with low or no oil (I haven't verified this yet, but all the signs are there. No oil in the the crankcase sight glass, starter clicks once and electrics work, oil light comes on, but no turnover or anything, just the click from the starter)

I want to find a salvage bike or a cheap engine that I can drop in with pretty much 1 to 1 compatibility (throttle cable, carbs, etc).

So here is the question:

Which engines are compatible with my frame and other components?

1. Does year matter? i.e. mine is an '85 so does '86 or '81 or '83 etc fit my bike? What is the limit on compatible years?

2. Does the make matter? I have been told that a Maxim, Seca or Phaser but not a Virago will be compatible. Is that true? Is a Seca engine compatible? What about a Maxim X or a Midnight Maxim engine into my '85 XJ 700?

3. What size (displacement) is compatible? i.e. there are a lot of '85 XJ650 salvage bikes out there. It would kill me to downgrade to 650, but I would if I found a good deal. My ideal would be a 750 air cooled.

So, if I put all this info together, I can have a lot of options while shopping the internet. For example if I see a '85 XJ 750 Seca, will that motor fit in my bike? What about an '83 XJ 650 Maxim? etc.

Thanks so much!

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Hey there, I'm about 20 miles from you.
    Have you tried putting it in 5th gear and rocking it?? With Blaster or Kroil down the plug holes??

It would be best to find another 700, but with a little work and planning, all the shaft drive engines will fit (except the 1100).(and you won't find a 900)

Each engine wants to run it's ignition system, but if you re-use the 700 ignition on a 750 you need to re-use all of it.

Each engine wants to run it's own carbs too.

There may be a shifter lever issue with the 750 Maxim and a bolt length difference with the 650 (Chacal posted a very complete explanation about a month ago).

Forget the Phaser and the water cooled X. Best bet is the 750 Seca and 650 Maxim complete, running examples that pass a compression test.

3. charlie3

charlie3 Member

If you ever get it running, look me up. I'm over in Polk County.

4. vanillaice

vanillaice Member

Does anyone else have any other thoughts on this? I have an offer to sell me a 750 Maxim engine, but XJ Wizard was saying it may take a little work to swap the engine.

Does anyone have any experience swapping engines in a '85 XJ700 Maxim?

Anyone else have any thoughts on my questions above?

Thanks, XJ Wizard, I can't wait to try the Blaster down the plug holes trick.

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member