1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What kind of aftermarket exhaust is this?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ManBot13, May 17, 2009.

1. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

My bike came with an aftermarket exhaust from the PO. It is a 4 into 2 (2 into 1 on each side, no collector). It doesn't have any markings on it.

I want to repack the baffles, cause when I bought it, the PO had it running rough, but it was LOUD! Although it did have some broken welds, and wasn't bolt on properly (welds are fixed, and it will be bolted on right) I just want to make sure that when I finally get this together I don't want to have any trouble passing inspection. Does anyone recognize the exhaust setup? Does the baffle look intact? How should I got about repacking it? I've never played with exhaust before.

Attached Files:

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I recently made my exhaust quiet, a 4 into 1 that had a removable endcap.
    I didn't take pictures. I took fiberglass mat , not cloth, and the expanded metal used in drywall work. I rolled it by hand around a rake handle that leaves a clear path thru about 1 inch. This was stuffed way into the front of the megaphone.

My baffle looks different than yours. I also wrapped the baffle with as much material as would fit, and packed it home with a 12 foot lever.
    I over did it- - there is almost no exhaust note.

3. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

TimetoRide I like the sound my 4-1 makes, but I would like it quieter is there a large difference performance wise after you repack your muffler.

4. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Looks like a Mac megaphone style exhaust.

MN

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I can't really tell- - full throttle at 5 grand flares the clutch.
    Moderate throttle feels the same. Gotta get that turbo clutch in.

I'll be doing more exhaust work soon, and make a "how-to" thread on it.

6. ManBot13

7. danmar1963

danmar1963 Member

[​IMG]

Dude

It is a Mac 4 into 2 MegaPhone. I have these on my Seca. If you want to keep it a 4 into 2 setup try to fix them. They are getting hard to find in the aftermarket.

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Almost exactly, but I don't have the center disc.
    I have the front and rear disc and the 2 pipes that sorta miss each other.
    I think someone broke Manbot's baffle.

9. ManBot13

Does anyone have a baffle like the one I have? Or is it broken?

TIMEtoRIDE, you packed the exit hole of the baffle and all around?

10. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

it looks like my Supertrapp 4-1. Unless someone stuck a Supertrapp logo on a MAC

[​IMG]

11. ManBot13

earz_cd, what looks like yours, the baffle, or the exhaust? Cause mine's 4 into 2, the pic from the side is just one half of the exhaust system. If you mean baffle then cool...Thanks!

12. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

Yeah the baffle. I just skimmed over the pics and saw something familiar. My bad.

13. ManBot13

earz_cd, how do the baffles work for you sound wise? Did you pack them at all/how?

14. iron9cross

iron9cross New Member

Do any of you know a good website to found aftermarket slip-on exhaust for 85 xj700x. i want to make it a little louder not to radical

15. ManBot13

I actually got the bike running this weekend, but it was waaaaaay too loud. Anyone know where I can get baffles for what I think is a MAC Megaphone exhaust system?

I found these guys: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/baffles.htm but they have one bad online review, although the local reviews are ok and recent. I can't get in touch with them by email or phone, so if I can find somewhere else I think I would feel better. Anyone got any suggestions?

16. ManBot13

I was actually able to get in contact with these guys and was told the baffle listed above wouldn't work, but was pointed to a cobra baffle. It won't fit and I have to return it. Anyone else have any ideas?

The pic is still up on the top of what my baffle looks like. Anyone have any ideas on how I can either fix or build my own without welding?

I was looking into the plumbing section of the hardware store for inspiration and saw these pieces: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 039+528210

and I was thinking I could use two different diameter flanges, fit a pipe between them with a reducer, cap off the end that's deeper in the exhaust and drill holes in the pipe such that the area of the holes is equal to the area that the original baffle had going in. exhaust would flow through the mounting holes in the smaller flange, then have to go through the holes in the connecting pipe to actually exit. And I could adjust the length easily until it fits. It would be kinda heavy, but does anyone think it would work? Am I right to assume that what I need to do is make sure the exhaust doesn't get a straight shot through the pipe to reduce the sound?

17. ManBot13

Bump:

What about drilling holes in what's left of the baffle's tube and packing it? will that work?

18. ManBot13

So I finally figured out how to baffle the exhaust, if just barely. I went to a small motorcycle shop nearby, which was doing alot of engine rebuilding. Asking about baffles (and getting a bit of a chuckle as they were "obviously" into racing and didn't get that request often) he said he'd see what he could get. He was able to get me some perforated vance and hines baffles which had the perfect size end cap but were about 4" too long. Since the end cap is what mattered, and I was taking a welding class at the time, I unpacked them, cut them to fit (had to file the end off to get them snug) and repacked them. The end result is still pretty loud and cost me about $46 (not including shortening them), but it kinda quieted the sound to something a bit more bearable.

19. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

This may be of interest...they make beautiful stainless exhausts...they use spun stainless steel as baffling material that will outlast you!

http://www.staintune.com.au/faq17.htm

and no I don't work for them :wink:

20. ManBot13

Yeah, but will they make baffling material that will outlast a PO 8O ? I was basically trying to save an exhaust system that was in good shape other than the baffling situation, and just needed something that fit. The fit was the hardest part.