1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

what STUPID thing did you do with your yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by uzivelli, Sep 15, 2008.

1. uzivelli

uzivelli Member

i left the key in the ignition with the lights on while i am at work. i just realized what happened and ran out to the parking lot 10 minutes ago...dead battery. i guess i gotta get a ride to buy me a battery charger.

silver lining: gives me a reason to buy a battery charger i really should have bought by now already, anyway.

2. G-Man

G-Man New Member

Can't you push start her?

Well, I actually had a hill to help last time.
    Can you push a bike fast enough to start it?
    Never tried.

3. uzivelli

uzivelli Member

by the way, i would like to get the battery charged enough to get home in 3-4 hours of charging. is there a particular (type of) battery charger i need to charge it within that time frame.

G-,man- never push started, but i'm not near any hills and i work with female coworkers, and don't want to ask them to push the bike for me.

4. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

1.5 amp charger MAX
    get an auto<float charger>

push the bike with the clutch pulled, (i do it in 1st)
    dump the clutch, with ignition on, and be careful as the bikes going now.

if it doesnt start do it again

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

be CAREFUL with your throttle hand on that push-start attempt. You don't want to grab a big handful and then when it lights, end up doing a backflip-wheelie to impress your female coworkers...

Toomanybikes likes this.
  6. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

ask if any of your co workers have a set of cables.. While not ideal will acheive the same effect as to push starting. and less hassle

Oh and I have MISplaced my keys 3 days ago and the bike has had to sit out in the rain uugghhh. Its gonna give me alot chit for this. about impossible to push it where it needs to go for shelter it might as well sit out in the sun now to dry anyways.

7. simona

simona Member

To bump start - click into neutral, run like hell, jump on with leg either side and then pop into second while holding clutch, let out clutch then it should fire and not wheelie out of your hands. If you dont sit on, then the chance is high that you will skip the tire across the road once you put in gear This has worked a few time for me, but you look like a complete loser outside Dunkin Donuts doing this!!!!

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

Keep in mind that push starting with a DEAD battery is a VERY difficult proposition. Heck, it's hard to keep them running on a weak battery. They just don't like it. Gotta have enough "juice" to operate the ignition system or you are just pushing for the fun of it. Get a jump if you can.
    I use a 2 amp charger on my batteries without trouble. Just be sure to buy a floating charger as mentioned. They will detect how much current the battery needs and adjust the flow to keep you from boiling out your cells.

9. uzivelli

uzivelli Member

not confident enough to try the push start today. plus my ego is still fragile from leaving the keys in the ingition this morning.

i did buy a charger though and am charging it right now. i keep hearing "float charger." i bought a husky fully automatic electronic smart charger 10/6/2 amp charge rates. i'm charging it at 2amps right now. is this what i needed? thanks.

10. kd5uzz

kd5uzz Member

Perfect!

11. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Being new to motorcycles in general in the first week I had my 82 XJ 650 I did two stupid things. First somehow I managed to leave it on Prime all night long. Now I was close to running out of gas while riding I though I put the fuel valve on reserve, guess I turned it the wrong way. Anyway ended up with a crank case full of gas and a bike that did not want to start. This happened on 4/25/11. I had to change the oil and oil filter to get it to start. I had to buy a battery tender to charge my battery since I drained it trying to start it with my crank case full of gas. On 4/30/11 I left the ignition on and killed the battery. So I pushed it in the back of my place and charged the battery. Now I turn the bike off with the ignition and then turn the kill switch to off.

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Even 2 Amps is a bit "hot" for a motorcycle battery; keep an eye on it or you'll overcook it.

The best rate is something under 1A; the 0.75A Deltran Battery Tender, Jr. is ideal; and it's a "float" charger.

13. waldo

waldo Member

If you do end up having to resort to the coworkers take a video. BTW thats the same charger I used at my buddies house cooked the battery over night.

14. shangovi

shangovi Member

:D "end up doing a backflip-wheelie to impress your female coworkers" Nice!

15. yamaman

yamaman Member

I ride mine with the smallest leaky head gasket every day. it just leaves oil moisture around the seam, every day. I'll get to it one day. wonder if I could re-use the valve cover gasket since there's RTV on both sides of it

16. crewwolfy

crewwolfy Member

lol, you guys realize this topic is three years old, yes? Anyway, I ignored my Seca today. She's all alone in a garage, unfinished. I'll be seeing her tomorrow..

17. doc2029

doc2029 Member

It may be 3 years old, but who knows, people do stupid stuff all the time and of course there are noobs like me that can do stupid things just because.... This is good as any thread to have resurrected.

18. macros10

macros10 Member

Happened a few days ago, but (I know fitz, need to buy one) I over torqued the rear brake pedal bolt and snapped it, had an extra pedal/bolt and thought I'd be smart and screw it down until the other piece came out, well, it ain't meant to come out the bottom, lol, so now I have 1 and 1/2 bolts holding the pedal on and have to find a way to clean up my mess. Lesson learned, get a friggin torque wrench knucklehead! he he!

Mac

19. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

Stupid thing I did to my yamaha? converted to an R6 master cylinder and let my muscle memory grab a fist full in the wet. On the ground before I could even think "oh $#!"
    Show's what I know about modern bikes. I had taken a bit of time to get used to it on the middle of 5 settings and thought I would dial it down a bit since it had gotten rainy while I was out and about. Turns out 1 is more braking than 5...

New blinkers, side oil plug and footpegs all in place and working fine.

20. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Oh, the other day Thursday evening I ran to the store to get a few small items. I missed the turn signal and some how turned the choke on full. Then not realizing what I did I was perplexed on why my bike was suddenly running at 3,500 - 4,000 RPMs when I pulled the clutch in... LOL>..