1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What XJ's have factory jet needle with clip?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ManBot13, May 15, 2010.

1. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

He everybody.

I realized that I was still running a bit lean in midrange (all stock except for aftermarket 4-2 with perforated-packed baffles) and was over compensating using my pilot circuit. I had put 41 pilots and 122 mains, but decided to bump up to 124 mains...and that I would try shimming my needles.

I've decided to be too cheap to buy a dynojet stage 3 kit (I'd only need the stage one anyway), so I've ordered the jets through chacal, and would shim the needles with washers. I read that only 900s with mukunis? had carbs that were set up for fine tuning, with a needles with clip positions. So I was all ready to open up the top of my carb, and run to the hardware store with the needle in hand, to find a washer that would work. I took the slide off, and opened up the nylon screw, and poured the pieces into my hand. What did I find ?!?!?!?!?

A needle with an E-clip on it 8) . Maybe one of the PO's in this bike's checkered past had set up the bike for the aftermarket exhaust (probably not the same one that broke the baffle in half :evil: )? Or did this bike come this way and am I giving the PO(s) too much credit?

2. ManBot13

bump...i can't stand the suspense :roll:

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Bot, your wait is over, because I'm seeing your bump, and raising you a boatload of info:

A clipped needle in a Hitachi means only one thing:

Dynojet kit (or, needles from some other type of carb).

The issue you'll be facing is that along with the adjustable needle, the needle taper and thickness is different from stock needles, AND, with the dynojet kit comes a drill bit with instructions to drill open the air bleed holes in the bottom of the vac piston (original air bleed holes in vac piston are approx. 1.70mm and 1.75mm ID (one is slightly bigger than the other). This makes the vac piston rise quicker in response to a given vac signal in the carb throats, as well as.............

Also, the vac piston return spring may have been changed, or had some coils cut off of it. Original springs are:

19.00mm ID
    20.60 OD
    0.80 wire thickness
    90.00mm tall

Shorter and/or weaker springs will pronounce the effect of the vac piston, making it also riser faster in response to a given vac signal......all of these things tend to richen up the main circuit fuel mixture, the whole purpose of the dynojet kit.........

4. ManBot13

Oh great...well I'm not gonna bother pulling the carbs and measuring all that crap now :evil: . I'll have to save it for another weekend. Come to think of it, the bike came with pods - which I replaced with an airbox and paper filter.

Maybe I lucked out and the PO only replaced the needle? All of the jets were stock when I got it...so maybe there's hope :oops: ? Maybe the exhaust was installed first with the kit...and later a different PO went pods and broke the baffle?

Were these kits always like this (the bike sat for quite a while...so has the dynojet kit been the same for say...the last decade)? Maybe I should be on the lookout for another set of carbs :x How do I measure the hole size? I'm reading the instruction from their site...and there's nothing in it about the springs...so maybe that didn't get changed. Why oh why can't these things be easy?

EDIT: RickCoMatic provided a solution to "fixing" drilled out holes. I still need to meet the guy http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1 ... nojet.html
    Also, chacal...wouldn't cutting coils make the springs stiffer (I learned this when searching for rear shocks). It would have less preload on it, but it's rate would be greater. Anyway...it runs well (as far as I can tell...but it is my first bike and first project) and seems smoother now with the 124 main, 41 pilot, and needle clip 4 position. Heck...if worst comes to worst I'll run rich and burn a little more fuel...better than the alternative

Stupid PO :cry: