1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

what's your Favorite color XJ ?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by maybe4, Aug 9, 2018.

1. maybe4

maybe4 Member

I read all of that......at the beginning Len says if it's an 1982 XJ750 then it's a "Code 7J New Ruby red"

the next paragraph down lists all the bikes for "Code 7J New Ruby red" and the 1982 XJ750 is NOT listed (the 1983 XJ750 is listed). I just want to know is it the '82 tank or the '83 tank that is Code 7J New Ruby red (because I now know that I have a 1982 XJ750 tank)

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I think the confusion comes from Yamaha not being particularly strict when it came to model run changes. They would transition through a model year, using parts up while also building bikes with the newer/revised parts. The most obvious example is the XJ650 transition from non-YICS engines to YICS engines. IIRC it's possible to have bikes just a few serial numbers apart where the lower-numbered bike has the YICS engine, but the higher numbered bike has the non-YICS engine (both likely built on the same day). This likely also occured when paint colors were changed. In your case the year of manufacture would not be the indicator of what color the tins got, but the presence, or lack, of a fuel sending unit would be.

hogfiddles likes this.
  3. maybe4

maybe4 Member

I was hoping there was just a typo in the first sentence and he reversed the two colors. Then it would all comport with the information below it

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Nope, the confusion comes because I was wrong! It was late, I was tired, and although those aren't good excuses, they'll have to do for now........

The corrected information should be:

1982 XJ750 Maxim tank (has a fuel sender opening) is Code 2U Super Red (or, if you understand the nature of paints, you can also consider it a "mix version" of the Code 63 Brilliant Red)
    1983 XJ750 Maxim tank (does not have a fuel sender) is Code 7J New Ruby Red

This is exactly what happened. Thanks for proof-reading my work carefully!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    k-moe likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I think I may have also been reading things wrong. So little time left of vacation, and so much to get done before it ends, has had me up later than usual.

maybe4 and hogfiddles like this.
  6. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I bought my XJ550 Maxim brand new and had my choice between the 3 colors offered: red, gray/silver and black. I chose red and never looked back.

In recent years it has started to fade and is now a lighter shade of red. Since the bike is a survivor, I won't get it repainted.

Attached photo taken at a car show in 2015 or 2016.

Attached Files:

Lightcs1776, Paul Howells and Franz like this.
  7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Beautiful

8. Lightcs1776

Lightcs1776 Active Member

I'm partial to the red - ruby red in particular but they are all pretty nice. Black would be next. However, if the bike is cleaned up, any color looks pretty good.

9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

It all depends on the xj. 650 Seca, silver
    85 or 86 700 maxim, red
    550 Seca, black
    anything with Atari, rusty
    Midnight Maxim, pink.