1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Why did you buy an XJ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, May 13, 2017.

1. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I pulled the spring out of my 920 virago. boom. No more coffee can rattles. Started perfectly every time after that

I wanted a cool looking old bike. The scalloped tank on the seca is what drew me in to the xj scene.

2. Adam Shaffer

Adam Shaffer Member

Was looking for a cheap ( have learned my lesson, don't worry) bike to learn to ride on. I found a 1982 XJ750J that fit the requirements and bought it. I liked the general look and easy to fix reviews. Loved it, till it did not start one day, but I am working on fixing that issue.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Rix86

Rix86 New Member

My dad found it, and it was cheap. And I like tinkering/ressurecting old bikes.

Wintersdark and Jetfixer like this.
  4. Pattiwack

Pattiwack New Member

To make it my own, bought myself a completely stock xj750 seca in decent shape last year, and made it into a cafe brat that i am almost done with.
    A lot of blood, sweat and money, but mostly money haha IMG_20170831_144601_425.jpg

SpearChucker, LarryMc, Franz and 3 others like this.
  5. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Looks great, love the seat!

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I'm usually not a fan changing a bike much...but that is pretty cool at least you did not hack off rear frame loop. Like how you did the tank too!!!

7. Pattiwack

Pattiwack New Member

Thanks! Once I finish it this weekend (hopefully) I'll post up some more pics.

8. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

That look really nice-especially not cutting off the rear loop. Professionalism indeed

9. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Just lucky I guess! Looking through Craigslist for a cheap older bike that needed minor work. The bike I bought was on there for a few weeks and looked like a good candidate and it was near by so I figured I'd take a look. PO seemd honest and gave me what turned out to be a really honest assessment of the bike. For $500 it was worth a chance. Very happy with it and to top it off found this forum for all the advice. Been lurking for a few weeks and reading up. I know have the bike running and stopping well.

10. Pattiwack

Pattiwack New Member

11. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Pretty!

12. Jetfixer

Nice Bike Pattiwack !!!!

13. Jetfixer

Got a spare engine off forum member Joe Elliff one of the great things about these bikes, there are still bikes and parts out there. There are bikes I'd love to own but only 2 things keeping me from that....$$$$$$ and WIFE ...well she does keep my grounded so I guess that is a good thing and she does not say a lot about me buying parts. :D

LarryMc and Wintersdark like this.
  14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

reminds me of a Johnny Cash song

TheCrazyGnat and Jetfixer like this.
  15. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

traded a driveshaft for a Dakota for my XJ it had bushes growing up around it and through it

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes tinkering with old bikes is brilliant. The XJ is a great machine I like this cafe racer.

17. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I got my XJ550 because I knew it was a solid reliable machine. My brother bought one brand new exactly the same year and model as mine. He was always very generous with the keys and I would take it for weekends during the summer. Between the both of us, that bike was put through the gauntlet for six years before he sold it. I was impressed with what it offered.
    Fast forward 25 years, I saw one on Craigslist and it was sold immediately. By chance a coworker had bought it and he was never satisfied with the "little bike" as he called it. Being the bike person I am, I offered suggestions on improving the machine to him. It started out just tuning the bike, then to modifying it for him and lastly talking him into selling it to me.
    My brother came to visit me shortly after getting the bike about six months ago. When he saw the bike in my garage he immediately said "keys" then he was gone for a few hours on my new baby. He returned and he just had a look on his face of utter joy. The conversation for the next few hours was about my bike and the bike he had. He is now on the hunt to get one again.
    Summing it up, I got my XJ because I know the model very well and can work on it, it's about as simple as they come with a bit of style from that era, it fits my body size and height perfectly and its an impressive bike as it sits stock. When I ride it I continually get bombarded with questions about it what it is. Occasionally, I run into someone who recognizes what it is then the conversation is on.
    No regrets. 2018-03-31 13.22.55.jpg 2018-03-31 13.22.05.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  18. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I allready had a 650 turbo engine and frame - bought to build my next trike. When I saw an ebay add for the 650 maxim, I thought, why not must be some bits I can use for the trike?
    Having got it home, I kind of like the look and feel of it - small, neat, not top heavy, but most of all, for a 38 year old bike it's in amazing condition, even if some of the bits have been robbed.

Jetfixer likes this.
  19. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

I wish I'd known that trick 15 years ago! Grrr.

Jetfixer likes this.
  20. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I also have a spare engine that I just acquired. It's a runner out of a 88 Radian with just under 10,000 miles. Spot on compression, carbs included along with the TCI. Interested to see how different it runs without YICs and a few extra ponies.
    Definitely a plus on the availability and price of parts. They are very accommodating of other brand bike parts which I find as a bonus for modifications.
    I have a couple other brand bikes and when they require parts I get ready to experience a little pain. I've came to terms with it finally and find the pain enjoyable in a sick way.

Jetfixer and Wintersdark like this.