1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

WIKI – ‘How To’ / FAQ

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by SnoSheriff, Jan 26, 2006.

1. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

I’m thinking on setting up WIKI documentation area. This way our registered members can have an area where you can post step-by-step instructions for certain tasks. These instructions can be edited/updated by all of us, not just the poster. This way once a certain topic is covered in a forum we can summarize all the instructions and put it in the How To section.

Instructional examples might be:
    1. LED light conversion
    2. Upgrading your front brakes
    3. Synchronizing your carbs

In this How To section you can also insert pictures so when you are describing something you can put in a picture for visual reference… I thought this may be a good addition to the site. What do you guys think?

2. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Re: WIKI – ‘How To’ documentation

lol - everyone is going wiki

Do you have a ssh access to the server? If you do then drop a .htaccess file into the directory and use the easy easy to install php wiki...

It does work... however, it is important to remember it's only as good as the time people spend making it better... in some ways keeping it all in the forum makes sense.

What we would be better off doing in some regards is flagging topics that are really good - and using those as the content of the wiki.

The wiki would just be a dynamic table of contents into the forum then...

Some one could make a section on engine problems - then put any link they know of to the forum with the content on solutions.

my .2 in a rambling kind of way

3. chevy45412001

chevy45412001 Member

lets worry about getting my smileys working first....plz. then the trip to haaawwwwaaaii. i'm so computer ill it's not funny. what the heck is an wiki? and why do i care?as far as everyone being able to change it i might not like that,but if they could add to it or comment on it that would be cool.

4. SnoSheriff

What is Wiki: http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki

Basically every registered user has access to the document and can edit it. This is used to create online documents and allowing users to modify them if something is missing or can further be explained in more detail... Good for creating step-by-step user manual for specific tasks...

Yes, it's only as good as people make it and if nobody posts in it, then it will fail. I will wait a bit and once we have some good detailed threads then I will use that for WIKI base.

5. SnoSheriff

Chevy, check out this thread about smileys http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/253

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
  6. Fraps

Fraps Member

I was just coming to this section to suggest this very idea and lo and behold - someone thought of it first.

I'm new to carbs and have been all over this forum and other sites about carb stuff so I can appreciate how having all the information presented concisely and IN ONE LOCATION! would be fantastic.

Topics we see alot of:
    Fork seals
    Carb Synch - already mentioned
    Carb Jetting
    Brakes - bleeding, replacing
    Oil - changing, types, fuel in it
    Upgrading fuse block
    the list goes on and on...

Any ideas on an ETA?

7. woot

woot Active Member

WIKI's are good... the problem is a good wiki takes alot of work. I'm currently watching the ninja250 wiki grow and it's now a sizeable work. It has many many good posters working on it, and many many posters who aren't on the wiki team using it as a resource.

This is a fairly large group, but I'm not sure we have a large enough section of really motivated individuals to make this work... nor am I sure that there is a body of people really able to act as our team leaders... it can't all lie on sno - but on the other hand it is a lot of responsibility to hand off to members from sno's perspective. I know our wiki crew was hand picked by our admin group... we've had the unique ability for all of our admin group to meet in person for beer - something in the xj world sadly we've not been able to do... we're a smaller group and we do alot - this is the best web resource out there for the xj...

I guess I've rambled a bit but - the key points are imho:

- to make a wiki worth using it needs alot of work put into it.
    - to make a wiki worth using alot of team decisions need to be made early, otherwise it's a big mess that's hard to navigate and content is prepared in completely different ways
    - it has to be a colaborative effort by a group of knowledgable people
    - it has to be used, or the effort was wasted

The last point might seem silly - however - one of the biggest frustrations with our wiki is that we have many many hundreds of one time posters, come in and ask a question that is thoroughly answered in the wiki. They don't look in the wiki. They get either a snarky look in the wiki, a short answer or a wrong answer only to be followed by a link to the wiki when someone comes along and spots it. It's a wonderful resource, but it has to be used to be worth anything.

The XJ world is blessed with the XJ cd... and some ways a wiki could be seen as recreating the wheel. Certainly great care must be taken to ensure none of the XJ cd showed up in the wiki (which would be unethical to say the least).

I feel perhaps we'd be best suited to highlight or archive threads... perhaps simply a post or two that can act a bit like a table of contents refering to particularily good discussions on various aspects of the xj. At the same time maintain our focus on discussion and conversation. If not for the comradory many of us would instead turn to our haynes manuals and not worry about the web ;)

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

Miss hearing from you Woot. Glad your able to drop by with wisdom yet again. Keep in touch.

9. HooNz

HooNz Member

the work involved makin a wiki might be better put into sorting and catgorizing the post already there?...

10. woot

woot Active Member

LOL - HooNz you cleared up what I was trying to say in one sentance... damn you :p

11. Robert

Robert Active Member

Gotta hand it to him Woot, he has a way with words (some of which I'm still trying to understand, I must be very dense). I would love to put together a wiki, but as you point out, I can't give it a whole lot of time and I'm fairly certain that most are in the same boat with me. I hope we can put together a page or two of important topics and processes for folks to zero in on. Of course the current arrangement requires the arrivee to be somewhat familiar with the terms used on the machine and an understanding of how to use the search function (which I confess I'm still having issue understanding, lack of effort for sure).

12. HooNz

HooNz Member

Robert , you don't speak AwwrstAlien , Woot , speakin AwwrstAlien makes one very lazy as it shows on da keyboard !....

13. MyXJ750

MyXJ750 New Member

Implement a "Wiki" Interface for FAQ

Maybe someone has already made this suggestion. And maybe it isn't technically possible... I wouldn't know. Would it be possible to establish a Wikipedia style page with articles about repairing XJs?

I have some experience making contributions to Wikipedia and find it very easy to use. It has the benifit over a Forum in that all relevant information is available in one article that is edited by anyone with the knowledge. People can improve... and sub links for pictures and smaller more specific articles... etc.

I love this forum because of all the experience and information. But I find I have to do a lot of reading to find what I'm looking for. Of course, I can always ask a new question, but it has probably been answered a hundred times already... If I could just find those answers! For instance, why should I post another question about how do build a YICS tool? There are probably a thousand questions and answers to this already...

Just an idea.

One thing I know for sure is that you guys have the answers to my questions! Thanks for the sharing you knowledge base! This site is great!

14. 07spacker

07spacker Member

Re: Implement a "Wiki" Interface for FAQ

if that is possible i'm totally down for it, i've had a hard time finding things too and i feel like a jerk posting a new thread for a question that has probably been answered.... now if only i knew how to do these things...

15. SnoSheriff

Merging topics.

Yes, we discussed it in the past. I'll look into it and get back to you guys.

16. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I like to use Wikis. Never posted to one.

One concern I have is that from time to time we have some really bad info get posted in the forums. Sure hate to see something wrong or even dangerous inserted into an otherwise good article.

Any way to have an "editorial board"?

17. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The "Big Hammer and a Old Screwdriver" method of removing a stuck Oil Drain Plug comes to mind.

18. turbobike

turbobike Member

i say we use the included FAQ topics instead of trying to add something.

There's a "Final FAQ' topic that has ZERO posts, yet ALOT of howto's and FAQ's are located on these forums.

they should be moved in there.

if that topic needs a more 'formal' thread layout, then i'm sure we writers of HOW-TO's could re-write them to make em fit.

19. gcrick

gcrick Member

I love the idea of collecting some basic answers that many of us, old and new, could use... then improving them with the input of our many sharp members. Could be wiki based, could be moderator updated FAQ, could be a dedicated sticky thread area... whatever tool our leaders think best.

Because it embarrasses me to ask a question I know must have been raised before; I feel like I'm imposing. But the info is important to me and I really value the advice available here.

IMHO, the main thing is being able to find answers on common issues (brake upgrade, fuel valve woes, engine/carb cleanout, whatever) that have been gradually 'perfected' by successive comments from several gurus.

as always, thanks for the help.

20. pygmy_goat

pygmy_goat Member

I know this is kind of a dead thread, but I'm reviving it because I had an idea based on the way chacal has been using his ongoing thread to sell stuff. If one person is willing (and I am), then one single thread can be used as a HOW TO kind of thing, because the person organizing it can just keep going back and updating links and all.

I think this would work well, because as noted above, a lot of the information is already available in threads and stuff, it's just not linked to in any convenient way.

This would give people the opportunity to suggest which threads should be included or which ones might still need to be written. What I am currently imagining is a troubleshooting tree that would make it easy to point people with similar problems in the right direction. The dead ends of this tree would be links to threads that people agree are the right solution (like carb cleaning, battery charging, what type of oil to use [jk on that one], etc.). As it grows it will become more useful, and responses to the same questions won't be typed over and over again. This could be moved into the Final FAQ section, if it gets good enough.

Like I said, I would be willing to spearhead this, as long as people are willing to submit suggestions for what belongs inside.