1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wiz strikes again

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by wizard, Jul 21, 2010.

1. wizard

wizard Active Member

New acquisition 1977 XS 65, good runner & spoked wheels.

2. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Congats on th new member of th family, you'll have to put on an extension to house your growing brood, spose it'll be a 3 pot next :>

3. crow

crow Member

I agree Bushy, where's he going to fit it?

4. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Perhaps there's an Inner Sanctum, that only a wizard has access to, where th roof slides open when th moon is full and th chrome sparkles 'neath th glowing lunar orb.

5. schooter

schooter Active Member

needs more rake

6. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Hey where's the orange Outback mud and hopelessly thick corrosion?
    :lol:
    Looks like a good find.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Wiz always has room for one more

8. missionaryjon

missionaryjon Member

OK.. I have a question. How do you pick which one to ride?

9. markie

markie Member

Hmmmm... Last time I saw photochopping like that was on 419eater. Are you a member perchance?

10. wizard

wizard Active Member

Here's a question for you guys, this XS650 has a 360 deg crank angle & a single O/H camshaft, the XS500 I am working on now has a phased 180 deg integrated crankshaft & a double O/H camshaft. What are the advantages / disadvantages of either configuration ?

11. markie

markie Member

I believe a lot is to do with the placement of the valves and the efficiency of combustion. Lately, I have been keeping me eye out for a FZ750 genesis wich was the first yamaha to feature 5 valves per cylinder. This was a very successful layout and I read that while the area of 3 inlet valves is smaller than 2, the flow is greater when partially open - where the valves are most of the time.

Multi valve layouts permit central placing of the spark plug and this aids combustion. The actual crank angles relate more to vibration and how smooth the engine is. I know Laverda made the Jota in 180 then 120 degree crank configuration but the earlier 180 degree crank engine is the one to buy.

When the xs500 is on the road, compare it to the 650. Bet you find the 500 is a better engine!

12. wizard

wizard Active Member

When the xs500 is on the road, compare it to the 650. Bet you find the 500 is a better engine! {QUOTE}

Ah, the old suck it & see method. lol.

13. markie

markie Member

Well, as I mentioned before, I had a friend (well, drinking aquaintance) who had an XS 500 and it was rough but quick - in 1984.

According to "Bikez" the 500 has 49bhp and the 650 50 bhp. Obviously, the larger bike has more torque but the 500 is giving away 150cc!

14. wizard

wizard Active Member

Yeh, it's strange both bikes are the same year, but the 500 seems to be a quantum leap forward in technology.

15. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The 360-degree crank angle means the pistons go up and down together but fire on alternate strokes, like an old British parallel twin.

The 180-degree phased crank means the pistons go one up/one down, like a bicycle crank. A much more logical and efficient design. Much smoother power delivery. PLUS, you can spin the motor to a much higher RPM without affecting the rider's dental work.

What Honda found out, the hard way, after beating their checkbook against the wall for many years, was that more efficient doesn't always work better, especially IN THE DIRT.

But we're not talking American dirt track, so that's a different discussion-- sort of.

Remember, Yamaha designed the XS650 as a Triumph 650 "shadow sharing" bike. We'll leave the dirt track discussion there. (no we won't.)

But the XS650 is a PARALLEL twin, it's a Japanese Triumph. It vibrates. Your 500 is a logically designed vertical twin. EVOLUTION. It really is a wunnerful ting.

It's why (actually lack of it is why) I won't buy a new Triumph Bonnie or Norton 960 Commando. I'm not spending those $$$ on NO EVOLUTION.

Nice find though; those bikes are hell for strong. And guess where they end up? Ashes to ashes, DIRT TO...

[​IMG]

#36 and #14 are XS650s; #88 and #27 are 650 Triumphs. Sorry about the water bottle, the starter stuck it in the fence at the last second.

16. crow

crow Member

Great explanations Markie and BigFitz, I learn something here everyday. Also great photo of the "starter's gate".

17. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

here ya go Markie, i made a few of these when Barack bailed out GM
    check out worth1000.com, those guys are good

18. markie

markie Member

Polock: I used to frequent the eater. I even managed to get an AWFUL photochop as a trophy. The worse they are, the better it is!