1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Would you suggest an inline fuel filter ?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ElkHavenSeca, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

I just rebuilt my carbs on my 82 xj750rj . also rebuilt my petcock and replaced all fuel lines .
    my tank is very clean inside which amazes me for its age , would you still suggest an inline fuel filter . I have heard them causing problems with flow in some forums here .. I am not done plumbing lines yet as i may put a shut off valve between carbs and tank also (tired of gas in my oil ) any thoughts.

2. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

It is a lot easier to deal with installing a fuel filter than cleaning your carbs repeatedly. Even if your tank is clean now, without filter these tiny bits of rust that you can't actually see would get down the carbs and eventually plug the enrichment tube.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If your carbs are working correctly you don't need an in-line shutoff. You DO need an inline filter.

Your floats should prevent gas from getting in the oil; a separate shutoff shouldn't be necessary.

4. ElkHavenSeca

I know fitz but im so tired of changing my oil i thought about doing it anyway . If i need a filter that will cause some space issues , so i may just have to do the filter and not shut off . i just dont trust the bike at this point to shut of fuel like it is supposed to do !

5. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

An inline fuel filter only causes problems if you allow it to trap a very large air bubble in it. Plumb it so that it runs all downhill and there are not humps for air to get trapped in.

Tanks don't stay clean for ever. All of the fine particles accumulate over time to plug the small passages in your carbs. So if you are tired of changing your oil, imagine all of the carb cleanings that you can avoid.

And if you rebuilt your petcock according to the guide BigFitz posted (with all of the fine polishing), along with wet setting your floats properly (and ensuring that the float valve operates properly), you shouldn't have any problem with fuel overflowing into your crankcase.

6. ElkHavenSeca

Well any suggestions on what kind of filter to get ? as for fitz polishing i got my petcock pretty clean and as smooth as i could (no build up or pitting )on rubber seal surface, but not as shiny as in the fitz photo's .My carbs were bench synk'd and the floats wet set with the help of long time friend and 30 year yamaha mechanic so im pretty sure they are right .
    i have a yics tool and can fine tune once i get it fired back up .

7. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Are you still getting overflow from your bowls after the wet-set and petcock rebuild? How did the float valves look? Were they replaced?

8. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Sometimes a vacuum petcock is still leaky after being rebuilt, new diaphragm plunger and old seat don't fit perfectly for several reasons.

9. ElkHavenSeca

no fuel system is still untested . Will have to wait till weekend to finish some other things and get tank re installed and filled .

10. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Filters are quite subjective, some like large ones, some small, some paper, others brass, disposable or rebuildable the choice is really down to preference as long as it physically fits. I think the only one fixed rule that would be considered valid advice would be to get a clear one so you can see A, if there's an airlock/any fuel getting through and B, when it's clogged & needs changing/cleaning

11. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

I put a relatively small, but not the cheapest by far, clear filter with clear fuel lines. It sits a few inches back from the petcock and is almost horizontal. At first I thought this might develop an air bubble issue but it works like a charm. It's essential to have one for sure as cleaner gas is never a bad thing. Be sure and orient it the right way (arrow indicates).

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I use the FRAM Universal Inline Fuel Filter.

AutoZone, ... $3.79

13. ElkHavenSeca

Thank you