1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 550 IS GETTING NO POWER AT ALL HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Arphaxhad, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

Some more picture!

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

do you have the stock tube or an aftermarket one?

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Let's see a pic of the tube

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

That is a Virago 750 control....I know because I replaced mine...and have another in my spare stash of parts.

5. hogfiddles

Same thing - I know....I've swapped enough of them

6. XJ550H

hogfiddles likes this.
  7. hogfiddles

Yup...81-83 xv750 First generation. After that, the 84-+ is like the 85/86 xj700 Maxim and X (and others)

8. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Jump the solenoid post and tell us what happens.

Gary H.

9. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

Hey everyone, so upon my suspicions I bought a new solenoid just to be sure! I've hooked it up and it didn't solve the problem like last time! And the problem still persist I have not jumped the New Solenoid yet, but I will in a few moment's, also I have my bike on its center stand so could there be a relay hooked up that prevents the bike from starting when its in this position or no? Once again the ground wire is not getting constant connection like the two red/white wires

10. XJ550H

there is no centerstand switch/relay.

the starter button makes the ground when you push it in , it does not make the positive connection as one would think.
    if the red oil level light comes on it is working, to test starter button you unplug your solenoid 2 position connector connect meter to plus side of battery the other probe to the blue/yellow wire, press button you should see 12 volts.

the red/white wire comes from fuse to engine stop switch (kill switch,run switch) then to the oil light bulb,ignition coils,tci box, up to the starter circuit cut off relay and kick stand relay (side stand relay) .
    the starter relay feeds the solenoid check the red/white wire on the solenoid for 12 volts if no 12 volts remove the side stand relay which is under the seat near the rear fender

11. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

thank you, will do

12. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

13. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

14. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

Alrighty fellas sitrep, i've figured it out!.. with a little help :--j i got it to start by button press! @hogfiddles was right! i need to have a ground wire hooked directly up to the frame or somewhere that has good ground because my wire harness only has three wires for the start/kill switch (two red/white striped wires & one blue/white striped wire) but no solid black ground wire, my kill/start switch however has the two red/white striped wires the blue/white wire + the solid black wire which needs to be grounded straight to the frame or somewhere on the bike with good ground connection! now i just need to find out how to make the ground wire and where to place it! thanks guys for the help! ;)

15. hogfiddles

Ok, so now we know that you have a control that is supposed to ground through the " handlebar-thru-stem-thru-bearings-thru-frame" route. I'll try to get some pics of where the ground through the "wire-to-harness " route. It's an easy fix, I just have to remember which bikes if done it on so I can take the pics for you

16. hogfiddles

Unmm.... Before I do that----

I just looked back at your bike.... You have black handlebars? There's no ground because the bars are painted coated. The metal of the switch housing must solidly contact a bare metal bar for the thru-bar ground. If you clean the coating off the bar under the control housing to there's good solid contact at the mating surfaces, you'll get your ground back.

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  17. XJ550H

my 3 xj 550,s have a ground wire in the control that run to the connector but no wire in the mating connector.

run a ground from the coil mount bolt to the control for ground there is a ground wire there on the right side already
    you could order a connector pin and put it into the connector, the connector is right there at the coil.

18. hogfiddles

What I had done was to add a wire to the control, tape it into the pigtail, then run a ground into the plug then run tha to a frame point. Once that was done, basically I had a later style control on an earlier style system, and could just unplug it like normal.

19. XJ550H

my controls have a ground wire on them screw that holds the starter button in place is where it is attached it runs to the connector but the mating connector has no wire.
    on the 550 the connectors are located at the coil pack giving a good location to connect to frame using coil mounting bolt. There is a ground wire from harness there.

the quick way would be a ground wire with ring terminal to coil bolt then run it to control with another ring terminal.
    you could cut the wire at connector that comes from control and add a ring terminal to coil bolt.

i would get the connector pin from chacal and wire it into the connector body for the neatest method and then you can just unplug the connectors if you need to service the control . plus it would look factory

20. hogfiddles

exactly. I added a pin into the connector so it would look and feel factory, and bypasses the weak " thru the stem" ground. It also allows for keeping coated handlebars.

I don't have any pics.... The ones that I did were on early 650 maxims and some 550's that were brought to me to help. Sorry I can't show ya.....

XJ550H likes this.