1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj 650 4ko rebuild

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Minimutly, Dec 18, 2021.

1. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Time to start a thread on the long term rebuild. This is the bike on a pallet, cost me as much to transport as the bike did. Non runner, no tank, forks, or front wheel. I bought a tank with a set of side panels (have a spare pair now).
    Poured atf down the bores, found a front end, battery, some oil, cleaned the sized carbs, set the float heights - it ran! Very well actually. The clutch was stuck, freed it off and took it for a spin. I’ve since bought a used basket and some new plates, but ideally would like to change the steel ones.
    Tonight I needed to move it out of the garage to make room for a 650 turbo and 900 engine (had to move them from work). So I started it and ran it up - it’s been 4 months since it last ran, so it took a while to settle into a smooth idle (bare in mind I still haven’t properly serviced the carbs or set valve clearances). Anyway, noticed an oil leak onto no1 header. I had a closer look, and it seems to be a drip forming under one of the cast in “bumps” where the cam cap studs screw into...
    What could have caused this? Probably the stud has split the casting is the only thing I can think of.
    Pics to follow over the next few days, but this is a long term project, I have the 900f “bitsa seca lookalike” on the go as well. The plan with the 4ko seca is to get it running and all working, then strip back to frame, repaint to silver, or maybe red - they never made a yellow one - did they?

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Simmy likes this.