1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ part that really benefits an XV bike

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by tenx, Jul 15, 2020.

1. tenx

tenx New Member

I have a 92 XV 750 Virago and I really like it but one thing that has allways bothered me is how low geared it is. Yamaha intended for the XV to be in the same performance niche as Harley and they did that primarily by gearing the bike really low at the expense of higher engine rpm and that's really noticeable at highway speeds. The XV isn't a high reving engine so to speak so in an effort to lower rpm I purchased and installed a 18 inch rear wheel from a early 80's model Seca to replace the original 16 inch wheel the bike came with. The Seca's rear brake drum matched up exactly with the750's (v/s the 1100's larger drum). The differential fit right in. The rear wheel is slightly offset but doesn't affect anything. I used a really thick washer to adjust the offset. With the 18 inch rear tire I have it was like finding a 6th gear. I can do 65 mph on the highway with no problem and the engine isn't reving hard at all. I feel that the lower rpm lowers engine wear, noise and just makes the bike more fun to ride. Just wanted to pass that along for what it's worth. Thanks for looking.