1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550 Maxim "factory" cam upgrades

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Raunchtastic, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Raunchtastic

Raunchtastic New Member

I was able to ride the 550 on the highway and it is night and difference with the cams. I still haven't got the jets dialed just right, but even with the bike running rich it has much more pull on the top end. Prior to the cams the bike would run out of steam around 75-80 (the bike was admittedly neglected, so just having the valve adjusted may have corrected that) but with the FJ600 cams it pulls well pas burying the speedometer (85mph). Hopefully once spring rolls around I can get the jets dialed in 100% and really enjoy the bike to its fullest potential. These had to have been worth at least 5-10rwhp power gain from where it was. I was worried that it would lose some low-end torque, but it still pulls hard from ~2500+ where the bike spends most of its time.

2. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

Good news! Did you use a degree wheel, what were your numbers?

3. Raunchtastic

Raunchtastic New Member

I did not degree the cams, just installed them on stock cam gears wherever they ended up. What do you mean by my numbers? Dyno numbers? Haven't had it on a dyno yet. Going to get the jets as close as I can to a smooth and consistent power feel then try to get it on a dyno. It's better than it was pre-cam, but i know theres more left in it for drivability.

4. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

Any updates on performance?

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

This is interesting