1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj550 Tripple Tree Swap?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Indtune, May 19, 2018.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

clip ons clamp to the fork tube
    [​IMG]

2. steber

steber Active Member

I attached a few pictures.. In these pictures I originally slid the fork tubes up the tree to mount the bars on top. I have since slid the tubes back down and mount them directly under the tree.

Attached Files:

3. Indtune

Indtune Member

Ok, ok, I get the stock set up now... Im still really lost as to how you would put different bars on it. Are we talking drilling into the top tree? Or these still mythical clip-on's I can't seem to wrap my head around....?
    Although, im planning on maybe putting these on...
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/282959753820
    So, the question lies: do I even need to worry about the rise? And now that we are on the subject... Will the stock cables reach these? I can't seem to find the specs on these Damn things; I can only eye it. The "different tripple" idea was for some straight drags, or those inverted cafe's... But the feel of what i have going on is leaning me (or sitting me up straighter) towards the Z bars.

Opinions?

*Edit* I searched clip ons. I'm not as dumb now.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. steber

steber Active Member

well... the fz600 fits all these.. maybe not the criteria of using those bars, that is a different story. The fz600 part is aluminum so you can't weld on it easily. not easy to mount bars to, would have to be clip ons. You could use them with stock upper triple/risers.. I think seca ones are lower than maxim. but dont quote me on that one.

5. XJ550H

tripple.JPG

the allen screws hold on the stock handle bars . you could possibly drill out the hole and mount risers in that location or fit them into the recess area if it has room

6. XJ550H

seca 550 has a smaller fork tube you would be clamping 36mm tubes into a 35mm hole.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Ya. The XJ550 has the riser cast into the triple, while the XS650, XJ650, and XJ750 have bolt-on risers.

8. Indtune

Indtune Member

Do you think the stock cables would fit on the Z bars? I know, it's just eyeballing it... Maybe someone has cable advise?

9. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

After modding my own bars and still being able to use the stock cables I would think so. The z bars aren't a super high rise are they? And less pullback?

10. Indtune

Indtune Member

No, they're not super high, and they're a little forward I'd say. Ive lifted the bars I have now up; there seems to be quite a but of length. I should be ok.

11. Chitwood

You can also reroute them slightly if necessary

12. Indtune

Indtune Member

Ahhh!!! I can't figure out how to make a new post... I was looking for advise on high mileage... My 82 xj550 has 48k... It isn't leaking oil, nothing weird other than some possible vacuum leaks from cracked intake boots. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I feel lost...

13. Chitwood

Advice as far as what exactly? Make sure the carbs a church clean, valve clearances in spec, vacuum leaks fixed, and may also recommend a compression test. (Fully charged battery, wide open throttle, plugs out) This will give you a good overall idea of it's health. From what I've read these engines are very tough and there are plenty out there running well with higher mileage, maybe a little lower than spec compression numbers but as long as everything else is in order and the numbers aren't terribly low, ride it.

14. k-moe

48k isn't high mileage. Age is the enemy. Rubber and plastic parts will become brittle and fail.
    Throttle shaft seals,
    Cam chain guides,
    Intake boots,
    I would not change any of those preventativley, just be aware of any changes in the noises the bike makes.

The Post New Thread button is in the upper right, and can sometimes be hidden by the forum search window.

15. Indtune

Indtune Member

You guys rock. I've almost sold it a couple times, thinking the mileage is way too high to want to put money into a project with it, but you guys have given me a new motivation to keep going (and not feel bad about dumping money into it.) Plus, I need an outlet from a bipolar-suffering girlfriend. At least this girl isn't going anywhere :)

k-moe and Chitwood like this.
  16. k-moe

Years ago I read a story (I think it was Classic Bikes) about a man who bought an Ariel (I forget which model) in 1938. It was his family's only motorized transportation for most of his adult life, and he rode it until he was forced to sell due to health issues. He was in his late 80's at the time of the article (just before the sale). 300,000 miles on the motorcycle. Of course he spent money on it for maintanance items and repairs, but that's what keeps machines working.

Indtune likes this.
  17. Indtune

Indtune Member

Ok... I can see clearly now, the rain is gone...
    Im ordering a gasket set soon.

k-moe likes this.