1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ600/FJ600 51J Project Advice

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ciarán, May 12, 2020.

1. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. and is why we always need people with your perspective on a lad's night out.

Minimutly likes this.
  2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Hey Ciaran, I have an xj 650 fitted with 600 mikunis and airbox - my question is, how the heck do you get at the idle speed screw to adjust it - it's buried way in there between the airbox and the starter?

3. bensalf

bensalf Active Member

the idle knob has notches on the end , get a long flat blade screwdriver and set the end in a notch, and lightly tap the end of the screwdriver , from the r.h. side of the bike, tap at the bottom to increase revs , tap at the top to decreace
    stu

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Thanks - I had thought about doing it this way, it just felt wrong.

5. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

So, absolutely terribly overdue with an update on this bike. I took a chance on ordering a replacement starter relay because mine was in such shoddy shape and I fitted the replacement last weekend. The replacement is slightly larger than the original so stuffing all the wiring back into place turned into a right nightmare and will have to be addressed properly down the line. At first I thought my work had been for nought - not a peep from the bike. Of course, I had been an idiot and had the engine stop firmly at off.

A flick of that this evening and she tried to turn over. I refitted the old tank and let a bit of petrol through but she doesn't want to start right now which is a shame. Battery has been on a trickle charge and I fitted new spark plugs a few months ago so had hoped she would go. I'll try again in the daylight and see if I missed anything obvious.

We're in near total lock down right now here in Ireland but I'm hopeful that I might be able to get vaccinated in the autumn. There's a motorcycle repair course a few miles away and I spoke to the guy who runs it previously - people all bring project bikes to it to learn what to do with them. In the interim I'll try and tackle smaller jobs as and when I can get my hands on parts. I now have my mind firmly set on a pure resto mod so the bike will largely look as it would have new (all going well). I am relenting through and have gotten the top clamp from a radian and will fit standard 22mm bars to it down the line. The one trick piece I might splash on are the rebel moto switchgear - I've seen them on a few bikes and think they just look amazing.

Now that I don't appear to have any electrical gremlins to chase down I am feeling motivated so I'm going to try and tip away a little bit every day - I have just switched jobs and have a few other commitments so finding time will be the challenge.

Dave in Ireland likes this.
  6. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I have done this with a stick as a roadside adjustment.

7. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I have done this with a stick as a roadside adjustment.

8. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

What's the plan for these switches? Start and kill ? setting up for indicators could be a nuisance.

WRT to lockdown my friend in Co. Donegal is still working and gets stopped once or twice a day by the Garda to check on her while driving to and from work. Seems like they have nothing better to do at the moment!

9. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Yeah the indicators could be the problem. Rather than a switch you end up with an independent button for each indicator left and right. I had a think about it before and it's amazing how many functions standard switchgear takes care of. It seems the rebel moto switches pair really nicely with the m-unit - so buttons can cycle through functions. I'm not entirely sure just yet what is down the line for it - those are style considerations I'll have to keep till nearer the end of the project - one I'm only just scratching the surface of. This guy (skip to 12:20) runs through a brief overview of how his system is set up with the rebel moto switches.

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Just like BMW. Though their switches are one on each bar.

11. bensalf

bensalf Active Member

yeh , pretty sure if you use the motogadget control box ,you would loose any self cancelling feature ,for the indicators
    stu