1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj600 pre diversion tci unit

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chrisburge1992, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Chrisburge1992

Chrisburge1992 New Member

Recently bought a 1991 xj600 pre diversion hardtail as a project. It has no spark, the previous owner said he bought a second hand tci unit and it still has no spark. Ive tested the coils and they seem to be working so next guess would be the tci even though the pre owned one was meant to work. I'm not great with bikes so I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is a way to test the tci unit or what transistors ( I believe that's what they are called ) the tci uses so I can try and replace them. The tci that's on the bike atm is tid14-31 and that's fitted to a early 91 xj600 pre diversion

Attached Files:

Andy Hailstone likes this.
  2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Usually TCI units do not completely fail. One transistor controls one pair of cylinders and the other transistor the other pair of cylinders. Check the troubleshooting overview regarding the Symptoms and then the Matrix in section 2 of the link below. The following ignition FQI is about the Yamaha Vision but electronically it is similar to the XJ series. Don't initially assume your TCI is the problem, go through the checklist first. As far as I know the only way to check a TCI is to plug a good TCI into the harness and see if the bike starts.

http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/IgnitionFAQ.html

3. Chrisburge1992

Thanks for the link
    I've checked all the safety switches but the previous owner has bypassed these already by earthing the blue / yellow wire from tci. Ive checked coils and grtting correct readings. New spark plugs. Getting a ignition live to red/white wire to tci and black earthed like the link states and I don't believe the xj has a rev limiter like link says so can't be that

4. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

So you've swapped the TCI already as your number doesn't look the same in the picture.. I think almost any TCI 'from the era' will work well enough to give you a spark but be careful not to get the connectors confused.
    IIRC in some the 6-way and 4-way connectors are swapped around..:eek:

5. Chrisburge1992

I've not swapped the tci yet, on the box it says tid14 31 and underneath it has 49a-10, just half the sticker is blocked by the chain. I've seen some wiring photos of what people have sent me of xj900's where it looks like the coils plug into the 4 pin connector and xj600's where the coils plug into the 6 pin block connector. Apparently the guy I bough the bike off replaced the tci and still had no luck but from what I have checked I can't see it been anything else as coils and pick up work. Safety switches bypassed, getting power to tci box and it's earthed

6. a100man

Hi Chris

Sounds like you have a good handle on what's going on here.. Note that if you go searching for a 'new' one they are often listed (mistakenly) ion ebay as CDI's also look for 'ignitors'. FZ600 TCIs will also be OK I think.

Good luck

7. Chrisburge1992

Been searching about and found a place in holland that sell xj parts and cheapest ive round called boonstra. Works out around £43 posted to the UK. Won't let me post link for some reason but a Google search should bring it up

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Another breaker who may have parts. Note they call all of the XJ range Diversion's.

https://www.motorparts-online.com/en#

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

10. a100man

11. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes when you look at the prices of new aftermarket TCI units it is much better than an old standard one.

13. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Works pretty good, too.

I am running an Ignitech unit in my 550 Seca.

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I am going to get a new unit too as soon as l can