1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj650 Gas Tank - repair or replace?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jmkrull, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

So, I had my tank serviced by a radiator shop a bit ago after I stripped it down and found some pinholes. They fixed them but told me the tank is super thin in some spots and probably won’t stand up to being dropped or anything rough. This leads me to wonder how long the tank will last. On the off chance it’s sooner than later, what would be the best option to get a tank that’s solid, repairing the one I have (wouldn’t know where to go) or having a new one fabricated (also not sure where to go. Doesn’t seem there’s anywhere in MN or near the WI border that does anything in a search result). I’m leery on used tanks because it seems like it would be the same problem as my current situation. Has anyone ran into this and what did you pay?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Put a lner in it. Caswell's and POR-15 are both excellent epoxy liners that will also reinforce the tank. The kits are around $50.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

I ended up having it lined too, so i'm good on that. I'm just worried moreso about paper thin metal.

4. k-moe

If an epoxy liner was used, then the metal is just a covering for the new epoxy gas tank. If you're terribly concerned, put a want ad here, or look at Ebay. The tanks are common, and most of them are in good shape. An alternative is to buy a new tank from an aftermarket supplier and do the work to make it fit (to my knowledge no-one currently makes a proper replacement tank for any XJ).

5. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

Gotcha. I guess rolling the dice is the best bet at this point. I bet fabrication costs wouldn't match the value/life of the bike.

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Listen to kmoe, if the tank is lined right, it is not going to fall apart , you must realize the tank is not made of very thick metal to begin with , the usual place for a tank to leak is the seems .

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

\
    as in everyday bumps or pushes? 3 gallons of gas on your garage floor wouldn't be a pretty sight

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

PERSONALLY, I would get another tank. But that's ME. I am not to confident on tank liners.

Simmy likes this.
  10. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

If it’s a maxim a 750 tank is a direct fit with more fuel volume.

Attached Files:

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  11. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

This is where I'm at too. Whatever the previous liner was flaked off and ended up clogging my lines. I ended up going the RedKote route so we'll see what happens.

It was leaking at the seam, and the rear most recesses by where the tank attaches to the rubber by the seat. Brazed and patched up, but it just makes me wonder how thin it is in the places that didn't show holes.

Either or, feels like it'll be good for now. Thanks everyone for the info!

12. k-moe

Oh, RedKote won't help a bit to reinforce the steel. It's a flexible liner.

13. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

Good to know. Well, I guess I'll cross my fingers and see what happens. Apparently the stuff is a bitch to get out, so i'm in it for the long haul.

14. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I like redcoat personally , years ago used Kreem on a tank worked ok , if you follow directions and take your time these products work fine . Yes some are better than others . The original post about the tank , now that these bikes are over 30 years old means finding a NOS tank is possible but you will pay $$$$ to , I have a spare tank is almost perfect , but has a dent forward of the the cap. Inside looks like new paid 100$ , but also bought both side covers,front fender,tail piece , and rear saddle bags from same seller all in the same color candy red ...at some point I will swap this out so bike will be a different color. I have seen tanks on eBay that are in terrible shape and seller asking an insane price. I guess my main point is you will buy another tank and as long as it is not totally rusted , you may get lucky , but you could wind up with the same situation :D