1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj650 maxim - rear wheel offset?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jmkrull, May 20, 2018.

1. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

Just wondering if the rear wheel is offset. I’m trying to align the wheels and they do t match up, even with the adjustment screw dimed in the whole way or out the whole way. Any tips?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

your xj650 has a rear adjuster? got a photo?

chain drives have adjusters.,

my 650 s do not have adjusters, shaft drive

the only thing at rear wheel to adjust is the rear brake

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Chitwood likes this.
  3. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

Sure thing:
    [​IMG]

And here’s what I’m looking at:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe it’s supposed to be dog-style?

4. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

I wonder if PO. took the driveshaft off at some point and forgot to put a spacer pack in on reinstallment ??

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That isn't an alignment adjuster. The swingarm bearings are tapered rollers, and that adjustment is to set the bearing preload. See section 19 in that chapter, and re-do your work so the bearings aren't damaged.

Sometimes wheel spacers get damaged when shops change tires.

The rear isn't perfectly in alignment with the front anyway.

How close is the crown-edge of the tire to the left side of the swingarm? There should be about 1/8" of a gap with stock size tires.

XJ550H likes this.
  6. k-moe

Any missing spacer would be in the final drive, or wheel.

7. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

All present and accounted for, so it seems...

There a washer behind the castle nut, spacer tube in the final drive spline cavity, the axle, a washer on the brake-side outside cover and the bearings and stuff in between. If there’s one gone, I’m not sure where it’d go.

8. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

Something has to be F’d up. I’ll pull it apart tomorrow and see what’s up

9. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

It’s about an 8th of an inch, actually. Looks close, but I can see space and the ruler is giving me that. The more I look at the manual, the less I think there’s anything missing. Just seems odd. Maybe I never noticed. I read that shaft bikes have offset rear wheels, maybe ours is...

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you have to start at the back, pull the string forward and make the front wheel true to the back. check that the wheels are square to the floor too

Jmkrull likes this.
  11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

There's another spacer in the final drive housing. It's shown in the "FINAL DRIVE" folder of the parts catalog, not in the rear axle diagram:

HCP4751 OEM rear wheel center hub SPACER TUBE this 2-1/2" long tube spacer fits into the wheel hub, and the HCP1795 flanged spacer ring fits onto the right end of it. For all XJ550 Seca, XJ650, XJ700, and all XJ750 (except XJ750RL models), Each:

HCP12325 OEM final drive output/wheel clutch hub SPACER TUBE this almost 3” long tube spacer fits on the wheel side of the final drive housing, into the splined clutch hub on the left side of the wheel. If this spacer is missing, you will not be able to align the rear wheel properly side-to-side within the swingarm. For all XJ650, XJ700, XJ750, and all XJ900RK, RL, N/FN, and F models. Each:

12. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

Hey, yeah, I have that in there. Didn’t really think of it since it just kinda keeps the bearings put. The tube with the lip.

That tube in red is currently in the final drive housing. It’s thick and heavy.

13. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Well, from what I recall (don't have them in front of me), both of the spacers are pretty much the same size/shape/etc.........in fact, because the only meaningful difference between the two if their length (2.5" vs. 3"), it's easy to get them swapped.

k-moe likes this.
  14. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

So, I took the wheel off and everything is present and in th right spot but I looked at the chapter 19 kmoe was talking about to load the swingarm bearings. I think it may be starting at the swingarm and affecting the tire.

So, It doesn’t say much about the order or process of those two bolts, just to “slacken the nut on the adjustment side and tighten it down to 5-6kgs). Does the other side have to be fully torqued or does that happen afterwards? Does anyone know the order of operations?

15. k-moe

The opposite side is just tightened and the special locking tab staked. There is absolutely no adjustment possible at the swingarm, so it cannot be out of alignment.

16. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

The non adjustable side gets tightened and locked first with the locking washer. Then you tighten the adjustable side to ~ 50 in-lb or until the swing arm pivots smoothly with no side to side play. Once that is achieved you tighten the lock nut to 72 ft-lb without disturbing the pivot shaft.

As far as alignment, there really is no adjustment for the rear. I'm not sure if the wheels are supposed to be aligned, maybe you could try the front fork reset procedure to ensure those are in alignment. If you search up the forum you will find some good posts from Dave on the procedure.

Jmkrull likes this.
  17. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

Sounds good. I’m beginning to think maybe it’s just the tire being a little wider than stock since they’re both relatively new. Just seems the factory didn’t leave a ton of room between the arm and tire

18. jayrodoh

This part is true! Not the first to question the small gap there.

19. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

I went back to the swingarm and when I load the bearings tightening down the dogeared lock nut side to torque then loading the adjuster side to 50, I barely have enough bolt left to put the lock nut on it (maybe 2.5/3 rotations). Then, I put the tire on and it’s fine until I tighten the castle nut, it’ll hit the swingarm. I’m not sure what to do. The swingarm is bearing, seal, spacer each side (not really hard to mess up, i guess). I really don’t want to start pulling stuff out either, it’ll break my heart to basically disassemble the bike again. I took some pictures of my setup:

This was in the final drive:
    [​IMG]

This is flush on both sides:
    [​IMG]

Final Drive looking in:
    [​IMG]

20. jayrodoh

This doesn't sound right. Did the left side regular bolt seat all the way?