1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 Starting Problems...

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by maximxj650j, Oct 7, 2016.

1. maximxj650j

maximxj650j New Member

Hey guys,

I have a 1982 Yamaha XJ650j that has starting problems, it will start on push start and once it is started and the engine warms up it will start after that it usually seems to be only the first start that is struggles with. Anybody have any advice or ever had this problem. What should I look for or check out? Thanks! I appreciate all responses!

2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Weak battery is first thing to check for.

When you say it won't start cold. Does it crank but not fire? That is often a battery that is sagging voltage when starter is engaged, below the threshold for the ignition to spark.

Check voltage with a mulitmeter while cranking the battery to see if it drops below 9.5 volts, at which point I understand the ignition will not fire.

Or, does it start when you jump from a car using jumper cables - being careful not to short anything....?

3. maximxj650j

maximxj650j New Member

Yes it cranks but never fires at first but sometimes it does start right up, it has a new battery in it only a couple months old. I have never jumped it with a car only push started it 2nd gear drop the clutch and it starts. Any possibility it is the battery cables? High Resistance?

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Check the battery voltage while you thumb the starter. What does it drop to?

hogfiddles likes this.
  5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

-How many times have I had a new battery that was bad? Enough to never really trust a new battery

-How many times have others had a new battery that was bad? Enough to never really trust a new battery

-How many times has a bike not started, people ask what could be wrong, a gazillion expensive solutions are called out....a gazillion things tried.... A couple of us keep saying" check your battery', get told "it's not the battery, it's new---", be told "so what, check it anyway".......and then report back with "guess what--it was a bad battery"? Enough to be confident when we say, "check your battery" that it really COULD be your BATTERY.

k-moe likes this.
  6. maximxj650j

maximxj650j New Member

I just wanted to thank everybody for there advice, I finally had time today to measure the cranking voltage of the battery and it turned out to be 10.58V.

7. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I had hard starting today. In fact it wouldn't start. I pulled the battery and let it charge for a few hours. Put it back in and it started right up! Guess it's time to check the charging system.