1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 Maxim X clutch

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xxxKuTxxx, May 5, 2019.

1. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Hi! I've been working on my X and had to put it on wait for some time because of injuries I had, 2 prolapsed spinal discs and a week on meds, now I don't remember what goes where. Does clutch cable go between 3 and 4 carb where my finger points? Or does it go by the side? Confused because the bend looks too much when it goes by the side of carbs. Also, what do you use to lube clutch cable? Will chain lube be alright to use?

Attached Files:

2. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Had to dig through some old bike photos and found out clutch cable indeed goes between 3 and 4 carb sleeves. And chain lube is not suitable for cable clutch because when the solvent evaporates the lube solidifies and this will just make the movement worse.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Correct on both counts.
    Apologies that nobody got back to you sooner. I fugure that we were all out riding (except me. I was avoiding a tornado).

I use PJ-1 cable lube, but there are other choices that are far better than chain lube (automatic transmission fluid being one).