1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj750 Maxim caliper cleaning

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by eigenseca, Jul 3, 2019.

1. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

So I furthur continued prepping my front calipers for rebuilding today but I've ran into an issue. The slide pins are completely frozen. I'm not sure really how to get them to move or remove them. Is the nut pictured below what you have to wrench on to remove the slide pin assembly? If so that thing ain't going anywhere. You can also see the melted dust boots that are a pain to get off becsuse they stick to everything. Also is a brass wire brush safe to use to help clean the rings where the seals go in the caliper? I used one by hand for a little bit but I was just now wondering if I could damage the aluminum.
    20190703_115117.jpg 20190703_115123.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Well, since the paint is in such poor shape I'd recommend getting a quart of acetone and a quart of automatic transmission fluid. Mix them in a flameproof container (metal pail with a lid) and give the whole thing a good soak for a few days. The nuts you see are part of the pin, and allow the pins to be screwed into the mounting bracket (you don't need to remove them from the bracket unless the pins are so bad that they can't be polished and used). The caliper slides on the pins when they aren't corroded to it.

Clean the piston seal grooves with toothpicks and some solvent.

eigenseca likes this.
  3. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

I dipped them in carb dip for around 30 min but your not supposed to leave aluminum in that dip for hours. I'll try out that mix you suggested!

k-moe likes this.
  4. k-moe

Carb dip also won't penetrate into the pin bores and free up the corrosion nearly as well.

eigenseca likes this.
  5. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

After soaking my calipers in a mix of transmission fluid and acetone I was able to knock the slide pin assmeblies out. The holes were filled with gunk as I figured, and I noticed there is a little o ring at the bottom of one of the pins on each caliper that I will need to replace. Do I need to sand the slide pins any? Any special lubricant to use besides slide pin grease? Just to be clear to reinstall them do you just press them in? Thanks!

Bike is an 82 maxim 750

6. raskal

raskal Active Member

k-moe likes this.
  7. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

I wasn't sure if I reposted to the thread if it would move it to the top of the technical chat page. Does it?

8. k-moe

All new posts move up, and are shown on the "New Posts" tab wnenever a member logs in and selects that tab. Even if someone logs in after a month your new post will show up on their feed (though it might not be at the top of the list by then).

eigenseca likes this.
  9. k-moe

Merged.

raskal likes this.
  10. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

Thanks for the info!