1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750 Seca - Bobber/Chopper Revisited

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by PaintIt(Flat)Black, Mar 14, 2011.

1. PaintIt(Flat)Black

PaintIt(Flat)Black Member

So I had basically finished up my Bobber build and then decided to turn it to a different direction.

Here's what it looked like right before I decided to change everything.
    [​IMG]

And then I pulled everything out and cut down the frame to about this.
    [​IMG]

Today I finished some welding on the frame and mocked up the front end and rear end. Think I may extend the swing-arm a few inches.
    [​IMG]

Tell me what ya think.

2. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

I like that stance. But the springs will be useless at that angle or are you going the hardtail route?

3. PaintIt(Flat)Black

Ive seen springs at crazy angles like that and they apparently work. But if I extend the swingarm I need to decide if springs or hardtail, whichever will put the least torque on the rear. If hardtail I may keep the swingarm setup and just weld some solid struts to the frame that will attach to the swingarm in the same spots as the springs. Idk exactly what I'm doing. That's why im taking suggestions. Keep em coming.

4. PaintIt(Flat)Black

The deadline is June 11th, but ideally I want it done a week before. Reason being is Bike Week in Laconia, NH starts on the 11th. Anyone up for meeting up there on one of the weekends?

5. Orange-n-Black

How about a monoshock or a Harley softail design? 8)

6. grinder

grinder Member

i have to agree that the springs wont b effective at that angle.i tried to do this with mine,but as soon as you compress the rear end,you change the angle of them.then the swinga movement is moving the shock about the top mount rather than compressing the spring.you may well find that once they compress to a certain point,the swinga will not return of its own accord.if you decide to go ahead and try it,bounce up and down on it as hard as you can before you get the engine etc back on just in case.

7. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

Driveshaft angle looks like it will cause problems too.

8. gringo

gringo New Member

Thumbs up for Orange-n-black's idea of a monoshock :p

9. PaintIt(Flat)Black

Yeah, its kind of a reach for the handlebars too.

As far as the monoshock, I don't have room. All the electronics including the battery need to fit under that seat area. If the shocks don't work at an angle like that I will just go hardtail, basically weld some new tube stock to the back exactly where the shocks are now, and some eyelets on the end to bolt them to the swingarm. I think thats the next thing Ill be working on.

Other ideas i'm working on are stuff like getting rid of the remote brake reservoir, Jockey shift, and seat ideas (solo seat with some springs i think). Also I am going to do a side mount license plate and taillight to keep the fender clean. Probably get rid of the maxim speedo thats on there, just go with a speedo, no tach. Run without a front fender. And finally a custom exhaust of some sort. well not finally, I'm sure theres a lot I'm missing.

10. Orange-n-Black

Thought you might have room since you were going to stretch the swingarm. Just weld a bar across the rails behind the seat to attach the monoshock, would work if your stretching the swingarm out enough.

11. PaintIt(Flat)Black

So here's another picture of the bobber as it sat before the chop.

[​IMG]

And then in sitting around watching American Chopper I had a genius idea. After searching high and low on the internet for the seat i want, to no avail. I remembered of an office chair we had. It is awkward to sit in as an office chair but otherwise it would make a great motorcycle seat... because thats exactly what it is.

[​IMG]

I think that's it, I am going to use this seat, without the backrest, as the seat for my bike. It has a lot of cushion and is nice and wide, making it very comfortable as far as motorcycle seats go.

12. skillet

skillet Active Member

Just a personal opinion and my $.02 here (and you know what personal opinions and $.02 are worth :wink: ) That seat is gonna be kinda overpowering (size) ya' think???

skillet

13. PaintIt(Flat)Black

After trying out the seat it could work, but i think i am just gonna make my own. (The size of the seat isn't the problem, its not made to fit on this bike so it wouldn't be a perfect match) on a side note I'm thinking about paint schemes, still don't know what route I'm going. But heres one quick idea I whipped up.

[​IMG]

14. BillB

BillB Active Member

Not while you are sitting on it.

15. Orange-n-Black

I think it looks good. One thing to keep in mind is the slant of the tank in relation to the petcock being able to empty all fuel. Could seriously limit your travel. :wink:

16. PaintIt(Flat)Black

I'm not really worried about the mileage I could get out of one tank. It's a bar hopper, and if it ends up being hard-tail I wouldn't wanna ride it for 200 miles at a time anyways. Actually, now that i think of it, the tank is in the stock spot, its just the back end that is dropped down so the tank appears to be much higher in the front, but in reality it isn't that far off.

17. PaintIt(Flat)Black

Worked on the bike today. Decided to go hardtail, added some extra bracing and moved the tank a bit. Then put the front end and rear end on knowing full well it'll come off again soon, but some times you have to go one step forwards and two steps back... or two forward and three back... or one back, well it all depends on how many times you need to cut the pipe over again. Anyways, its progress, and here's what it looks like now.

[​IMG]

18. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

looks great. Any update on this?

19. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Just stumbled on this again... still no updates?