1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750RJ Seca Engine Mounting Bolt

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ManBot13, May 17, 2009.

1. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

It looks like the PO replaced one the bolts on each side that goes through the frame and front engine mounting bracket (there are four total, two on each bracket), with something non-standard to bolt on some highway pegs. These bolts have no markings on them, are different lengths, and one of them had like a half dozen or so washers on them, though I'm not sure what for.

The two original bolts I have left don't look too good either, they're all white with corrosion. I asked our parts guru chacal and he doesn't have 'em, but he did notice the following about the bolts:

What are my options? Does anyone know of any other sources I can got to for the OEM bolt?
    Does the "8" on the bolt refer to it being an M8, or to something about its strength? Can I just get a similar bolt, even non-metric, that is rated to the same or greater strength? The bolt threads into a nut so presumably the actual size shouldn't matter much right?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The "8" refers to its strength (it's a "grade 8" bolt.) You CAN use a "similar" bolt; however it sounds like the original was rather specialized.

I would replace it with a Grade 8 (or 9) M8-1.25 X 60mm bolt; flange head may be a bit difficult to find (it's a "JIS" thing too) but I would definitely use the correct size. I don't know if turning down the center portion is 100% necessary; they probably did that to keep it from rusting in place.

Post or PM me with a part number and I'll check my NOS sources.

These guys http://www.aaametric.com/ stock or can get fasteners that other people don't even acknowledge the existence of. They're also one of the FEW places I found that will do "small" orders ($15 minimum) most fastener houses want to sell boxes of 100, etc. They carry BLACK finish metric hardware as well as all the JIS stuff too (like screws and bolts with "too small" heads.)

3. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

PM sent on the part number.

Also, what does grade 8 mean? I've looked for metric grades and I see things like 8.8, but no "8" even in JIS. Is this an old standard and does it have an equivalent today?

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Stainless hardware is close to "grade 8" strength and won't corrode into place. Always use anti seize goop.
    Stainless from the hardware store HAS to be cheaper and easier than ordering specialty hardware, unless you absolutely MUST have the exact bolt. Then there's more info. . .

http://www.portlandbolt.com/technicalin ... kings.html

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

This sounds like a pretty specialized bolt, what with the relief in part of it and all.

The "real" Yamaha part isn't all that expensive, just "unobtanium."

(PM responded to with an NOS source for them.)