1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XV rider from Norway

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by faffi, Jul 19, 2022.

1. faffi

faffi Active Member

I may not directly belong on this forum, since I no longer own an XJ. However, this place looks to contain information that will be useful for my Virago build. In return, I hope that my 40+ years of riding and wrenching can be of some help to other XJ owners/members.

Currently, I have a 1982 XV750 Virago made into a scrambler. Changes made are; 18in Seca 650/750 rear wheel and brake, XT600Z shock absorber, XS400 front brake master cylinder, XV1100 engine and electrics, modified seat and new rear fender plus some minor stuff not worth mumbling about.

Over winter, I will bring it towards a more standard style of motorcycle.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, there was an ignition thead on the Virago's on XJ bikes and it was useful to getting my 900f working as the ignition systems are similar.

faffi likes this.
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

4. faffi

faffi Active Member

They may well be related, since both are Yamaha V-twins from the same era*. The XZ550 was far more troubled than the Viragos in the electrical department, though, perhaps because it was likely used more and harder - the XZ that many will know as Vision was a sports tourer that offered great comfort and nice handling.

*Or did I misunderstand, and that the XJ and XZ are similar?

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I think the XJ and XZ are similar and the post was useful when I had ignition problems on my XJ. I have never owned an XZ or Virago.

faffi likes this.