1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Yamaha Engine Lubrication Cycle

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Franz, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

Does anyone have an exploded view of the lubrication system in the XJ series engines thanks?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

from FSM XJ900RK
    oil1.PNG oil.PNG

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Great XJ550H thanks.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

So the oil spray nozzle which lubricates the starter chain if not damaged would mean the starter chain was still servicable? Mine sounds like it is rattling occasionally. Perhaps the chain guide is the problem? I have to split the cases soon to ascertain which parts l need.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if your going to split cases it would be best to replace any chains and guides and the starter clutch. putting a little extra oil may make the sound go away, fill but leave an air bubble

Franz and k-moe like this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Even if the oil nozzle is damaged the chain can still be serviceable. You have to inspect it and measure overall length. HYVO chains can almost last a lifetime, particularly when they are as understressed as they are in the XJ.

I was able to keep using my original when I had to replace the guide and oil nozzle.

Franz and XJ550H like this.
  7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Do you know the length of a new starter chain in millimeters that l can compare my chain with? Noise never happens when engine is hot. What mileage had your machine covered k-moe when you replaced the chain guide? If l can get away with using my old chain that would be great due to my temporary work situation at the moment.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Unfortunately I do not remember the overall length, and it's not listed in the manual (i'll double-check later to be sure). @chacal might know.
    Mileage isn't a factor in replacing the chain guide at this point. The plastic gets brittle wth age. If it's failed you can usually see the peices by draining the oil and removing the shift mechanisim cover. There is a largish oil transfer hole that gives a good look into the transmission.

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

K-moe Chacal advised that the chain measured along the outside perimeter: 29-9/16” ( 522.30mm) cheers.

k-moe likes this.