1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

YAMAHA YICS Eliminator

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by senzei, Jun 26, 2011.

1. senzei

senzei Member

Can anyone show me a picture of were the YAMAHA YICS Eliminator tool would fit on my Yamaha Turbo :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ray likes this.
  2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

On either side of the motor, at the very top of the rear of the cylinder block right where it meets the head, there are plugs that resemble a bolt head with a crush washer under it. They're the only "bolts" actually on the side of the cylinder block itself. You remove them both for cleaning; only one is removed to install the YICS blocking tool for carb sync'ing. It doesn't matter which side you install the tool from.

See pic: the bright green arrow is pointing to the YICS passage plug; the blue "squiggle" indicates the general location of the YICS "uplink" passage.

Although this is a 550, it's a YICS motor too so yours will be in the same place.

[​IMG]

3. iandmac

iandmac Member

Hey Fitz, what's that finish on your head? It looks great !

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks. It's the factory finish, just scrubbed clean with a product called VIM. It's a slightly abrasive, semi-liquid kitchen cleanser type product from Canada I don't think you can even get here in the States. I got a bottle of it as part of a "souvenir pack" at a bike rally in Canada some years back and haven't used it up yet.

That being said, we could start a new thread about the finish on these motors. The heads look as though they've been "dipped" or galvanized with something; almost like paint but it's not. The upper crankcases are painted, and the lower crankcase was left raw, "natural." None of which is obvious until you start trying to refinish or refurb.

(Apologies to the OP from dragging the thread off topic.)

5. senzei

senzei Member

Many thanks for the info it is now installed, I see some just leave it in, any advice is that good or bad?

Thanks Nice looking clean machine you have there would love to get my engine looking like that.
    Nice job

6. iandmac

iandmac Member

Ok, I'll kick it off and see what we turn up.

7. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

Don't leave it in. There are cases of the seals melting and causing a real mess. The YICS system is there to help the engine run efficiently and by leaving the tool in you defeat the whole purpose of the design.